• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Removal, Rear Bolts

JSHAFFER

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm currently in the process of replacing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I have run in to a problem with removing the rear two bolts on the oil pan. There is a rubber flange of some sorts that is preventing me from getting a socket on to this bolts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

J Shaf

Is a rubber gasket of some sorts that is right up against the tranny. Just happens to cover the sides of the bolts not allowing a socket to go on. Defiantly not silicone. Its any actual rubber gasket or dust cover of some sorts. Heck if I know.

possibly part of the pan gasket that's oozed out from between the pan and block, hit the tranny and curved around to lay against the bolts. Maybe someone cranked down on the bolts thinking it would help to stop the leak and it forced the gasket out. I don't see anything like that on my 96. There's a kind of reinforcing metal strap that goes from one rear bolt, over the hump and to the other rear bolt but no rubber material showing.

What Winterbeater said, use a razor knife and cut it out of the way.

on my 96. There's a kind of reinforcing metal strap that goes from one rear bolt, over the hump and to the other rear bolt but no rubber material showing.

Same on my '90. I agree, nothing should be there - it does sound like the gasket has compressed and pushed out. That's a good reason to change it.

A newer rubber gasket should have metal grommets in it to resist cranking it down too much. I wonder if that gasket had any, or the PO liked using an air wrench a lot.

I don't remember what it is called, but I know what you are talking about. Some just have a metal strap, some have a larger piece of rubber attached to it. It isn't part of the oil pan gasket. I just took a hammer and beat the socket past the rubber on to the bolts.

While the oil pan is off, verify torque on all the other main bearings and con rod bearings too. Don't back them off or anything, just put wrench on them and bring them up to where they should be (original specs). You may be shocked at how loose some of them may have gotten.

Back