• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should it still be running like crap?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my 4.0 motor out of my 2000 with a reman motor from nihonmotors. It ran terrible when I first put it in because I didn't have the cps lined up with top dead center. I got that straightenend out but the engine still seems to be running a little rough. It also seems like I have less horse power than my old motor. Should a new motor run rough at first? Will it improve over time or have I done something wrong?

no a fresh motor is smooth from the get go. sounds like maybe some inector wires are crossed or bad plug, or a coil pack lead problem

no a fresh motor is smooth from the get go. sounds like maybe some inector wires are crossed or bad plug, or a coil pack lead problem

Thats kind of what I thought. I am going to spend Saturday doing some more trouble shooting. I am going to yank all the plugs and inspect, check the connections for the injectors, test the fuel pump, etc. I am hopeful this thread will give me some insight from people who have swaped in a reman motor and have had similar problems.

Verify the mechanical side of the rebuild with a compression check of all cylinders.

the only thing i can think of would be a cam that flat spotted, flat tappet cams are very sensitive to the break in oils. most of todays oils do not have the zinc content needed for a safe break in.

The 00' and 01 years are known for cracked heads. Happens more often than one would like to think. I would throw in a can of Restore or some Lucas. Something to swell up those internal gaskets. Start small then work your way up.

Might have that distributor a tooth off.

Back