• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So when did RE start getting their springs from INDIA?

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my RE1462's today from FullsizeXJ and noticed a "made in India" sticker on them.

Hopefully these will last a little longer than the last pair :bawl:(3years old)

I guess time will tell.

John

It's a sad truth, but I'm still curious.

It's a sad truth, but I'm still curious.
I got my RE 5.5" last week - 8 leaf ones with the "made in India" sticker too.I am curious as well - as long as they don't decide to "suicide" them selves while I am honkin down the free way @ 80 MPH :scared: - well then thats fine by me!!!!:roflmao:

I've got a buddy who tends to over-kill preventative maintenance and replaced the old slightly tweaked RE leaf springs on his CJ with fresh ones. Then proceeded to break 2 of them within 50 yards, and a 3rd on the next outing. One of the guys is a metalurgist and took them in for analysis - said there are problems in the metal - iron oxide - that's rust ain't it?

I've got a buddy who tends to over-kill preventative maintenance and replaced the old slightly tweaked RE leaf springs on his CJ with fresh ones. Then proceeded to break 2 of them within 50 yards, and a 3rd on the next outing. One of the guys is a metalurgist and took them in for analysis - said there are problems in the metal - iron oxide - that's rust ain't it?

yup iron oxide is rust. thank you chemistry class.

It's the same thing with the Toyota offroad market. Marlin Crawler sells only made in USA springs (Betts, I believe) while a couple of his competitors are using Mexican imports that did not hold up or ride as well but, there really isn't that much difference in price. Some people just sacrifice quality for profit :dunno: ----------Hans

I got my RE 5.5" last week - 8 leaf ones with the "made in India" sticker too.I am curious as well - as long as they don't decide to "suicide" them selves while I am honkin down the free way @ 80 MPH :scared: - well then thats fine by me!!!!:roflmao:

Well this is my FOURTH set of springs. It's getting old and I hope that these last a little longer.

Original plus AAL lasted 2 years (RC)
Rustys... Lasted 3 years (sagged after 1 yr, he sent me an AAL)
RE....lasted 3.5 years
and now the new ones....

Maybe you'd be better off getting antique junk yard springs and getting them re-arced in a decent American spring shop. I think all our rusty old cars get shredded and sent to India and China so they can melt it into new parts and sell it back to us.

My springs are rusted to sh*t after a couple years, not terribly thrilled considering the price tag on the kit.

I have ebay springs on my car that are 6 years old that still look new, i dont get it.

Start's with the leafs, then the coils if there not already made elsewhere.then more and more products will be made out of country.send a message to them and don't buy there products. there are other options for suspension parts out there, that are made in the usa.

In principle, you are right to try to keep work here. If you extended that principle to include buying a new car, you can search and search and not find one vehicle that is 100% US parts. Right now Fords, Chevies, and Chryslers are way over 50% foreign parts. And how many Americans refuse to buy at Walmart?

You also have to consider (when talking about cars at least) where they're actually made. Yeah, you won't find them with all USA parts, but that would be next to impossible considering all the various pieces and suppliers.

well this is less than thrilling, i just got some RE springs a couple weeks ago... hopefully they live :smsoap:

You also have to consider (when talking about cars at least) where they're actually made. Yeah, you won't find them with all USA parts, but that would be next to impossible considering all the various pieces and suppliers.

i disagree. there are all types of USA suppliers for EVERY part on a new vehicle. the technology is here already, always has been. problem is, IMHO, the government needs to triple the import taxes to manufacturers, that would make it not viable cost wise to import 50% of a supposedly american car.
funny though, when i started taking the presses etc down to border towns to go to mexico (i haul oversize/overweight loads), the price of cars did not go down....could not possibly be greed could it?:roflmao: and now they need a bailout, go figure....
As far as i know, old man emu are made in australia still, so still a chance of some quality there. i went with Alcan leafs, so i am hoping they hold up. so far so good.
Martin

Wow now thats funny crap! When I was looking into buying my lift kit every one just insisted I buy RE buy it right the first time bla bla bla!!! I buy my Zone Offroad kit the coils and shock are made with pride in the USA. But the add a leafs were made in Canada. I paid 1/2 what I would of if I bought the RE kit. And for the add a leafs I would rather buy from Canada then India. I think China's stuff is even better then India.

Dave

my re springs (4.5 rears) were stamped made in canada in white??did i actually get re leafs?

There leafs and coils have been made in canada for quite awhile. we can thank NAFTA for that,when someone says there product is made in North America,that usually means Canada. not in the states.RE along with thousands of other US companies, are loyal to one thing..There bottom line.steel products from India are total garbage.i am sure over time RE will farm out all of there products out of country.

Back