• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant bleed the clutch to get good pedal!

tobaccogrower

NAXJA Forum User
i picked u this 84 xj. when i got it the master cylinder on the fire wall was empty bt had som crystals in the bottom like the dot3 dried up! i took it apart and cleaned it well. got it moving freely. took off the slave and also cleand and reinstalled. i bled this thing a million times and i still have a crappy pedal. i have to try to put the pedalthrough the floor to get it into gear! i bled it like the book said and compressed the slave then open the bleeder and depress the pedal, close bleeder and release pedal. then repeat! the truck has over 200,000 on it and i belive it's the orignal clutch. think the master is shot? truck sat for a few years before i got it. thanks in advance!

check the hose, mine leaked after 20 years.
Also, find someone that can vacuum bleed it. My clutch was a giant PITA until I vacuum bled it. It's almost impossible to get the air out of the hose using the pedal. I vacumm bled it and ran about 2 pints of fluid through it and it's been solid for a year.

Yep - vacuum bleed is the way to go. I just redid my clutch and couldn't find my vacuum bleeder. My wife follows instructions quite well (and doesn't ask why I do something until after it's done - a noble trait!) but I've noted a difference in my clutch between "pedal-bled" and "vacuum-bled."

A vacuum bleed kit (including handheld vacuum pump!) should run you somewhere around $30-40 any pretty much any place that deals in auto parts or tools. Sears is always an option...

5-90

Back