• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got another one, and have some questions

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
ok today got a 91, 4.0 auto 242 limited. and got it for 200$
smile.gif
problems:

both front brakes drag, how / why / how can i fix them? they said the replaced the calipers in october but its all dirty under neath so who knows, maybe they are plugged up with mud? they say it needs an ABS pump but i dont know yet

starter isnt working, it spins but wont engage with the engine, also the solenoid is bad because we had to jump it with a screw driver to get it to spin, new starters go for 100 at napa what the heck.... thats a ton is there a better place?

generally its dirty inside and out but all there so it shoudl be great. also saggy headliner any good tips on that?

im not sure if that included core or not, i looked it up on napaonline.com and the lowest price one was 98$ ill have to call around still.

Last edited:
ok cleaned it up, its looking great, got a starter for 60$ at the junkyard 1 year garuntee. so thats good, onto the brakes

it has all new brakes in the back, front rotors and pads are new, the calipers dont look new, and the brakes are dragging. dont know why they are dragging yet. also the pedal is really really firm, with not alot of stopping power, what could cause this

while im on brakes too, the check anti lock light is on, is that due to my dragging calipers?

I would just get some new calipers and rotors and pads. Calipers cost $13 each, rotors can be had for $50 a pair or so, and pads for $20. So, $80 or so and you have all new front brakes, should solve the dragging issue. The pistons in the calipers are known to go bad and not compress all the way and will cause the pads to drag on the rotor. Happened on my 98. Replacing the calipers is cheap and easy.

well it sounds like you have the crappy bendix abs system. hard pedal and no stopping power sounds like a bad abs pump, which they said you need.

i would not waste my time fixing the abs system and do a dual diaphram booster and master upgrade/swap. do a search for wj booster and master swap or dual diaphram swap from a, IIRC, 97 and up xj.

Back