• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab rims

jeepmike887

NAXJA Forum User
I know their have been posts before of xj's with moab rims on them before, I was wondering about the size of them. I was searching on ebay for used sets and found they are a 17" rim that mostly came with roughly 32" goodyear mud terrain tires.

It seemed to me that they came with somewhat smaller tires (MTR's I thought) around 30-31". Is that correct. If it is I can't find any.

anywho, I was considering getting another cherokee as a daily driver, and wanted to build it with a mild lift 2-3", moab rims and some 30" tires maybe 31's.

I want to keep it extremely reliable.

Im driving a chevy tahoe with a 5.3 v8, and its a great vehicle as far as being worry free, but the gas and insurance is killing me. As well as not being able to jump offroad with it everyonce in a while.

hoping I can build a very reliable cherokee and still be able to do some light offroading with it.

My old cherokee was on 33's and a 6" rubicon longarm kit. I broke something everyother week and it just nickled and dimed me to death. I was thinking if I can keep it small I would be alright.

My questions basically are, can I run a 30" tire on a 17" rim and will it be alright, I fear it is too big of a rim for that size tire.

and secondly, anyone with a 97+ cherokee with a mild lift and 30-31" tires that dd's it and wheels occasionaly comment on reliability. I know the motor and trans are good for a long time, but Im talking small stuff breaking and having small issues all the time.

A bit long winded, but I think I got my point across.

posting in here because this is the only forum I ever check. would I be better off in modified tech or general chat section?

IINM, the 17s are the newer (5 on 5? JK only?) Moabs. The 16" are the older (5 on 4.5- YJ/KJ?) wheels. I think the common 16" tire was a 245/75 (roughly 30-31") while the later 17" came with 255/75s (roughly a 32"). Just going by what I see in various forums and ads, so I may be off on some of this.

Thats what I thought, I just was not seeing as many of the 16" version on ebay. I would not be able to use the 17" version anyway with the different lug pattern.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for some 16's.

245/75R16 comes out roughly to 30.5" tire diameter, which would be perfect for what I wanted.

thanks for the info.

anyone with that setup care to comment on reliablility.

or am I just ignorant to think that a jeep can be problem free for extended periods of time.

The rush of the 17"s is because the wheels on new Jeeps are being replaced with aftermarket wheels, and you get a lot of "factory take offs" Now that the TJs are out of production, you'll see fewer of them, but they're out there. Good looking wheels on an XJ

IINM, the 17s are the newer (5 on 5? JK only?) Moabs. The 16" are the older (5 on 4.5- YJ/KJ?) wheels. I think the common 16" tire was a 245/75 (roughly 30-31") while the later 17" came with 255/75s (roughly a 32"). Just going by what I see in various forums and ads, so I may be off on some of this.

You are right. The 16'' wheel came with the 5x5.5 pattern that has been used on the XJ/TJ/YJ/KJs.

You can use the newer JK wheels if you use an adapter. There is someone who posted pictures in the showcase forum who has the newer JK wheels and tires on his XJ.

As far as reliability, it all depends. There are people wheeling XJs with 39'' tires and have no problems. There are also people with stock XJs who have replaced everything in the Jeep and are still having problems. It depends on how hard you wheel, the Jeep itself, and how well you maintain it.

I personally have a XJ on the rubi take offs, with a 2.5'' OME lift kit and like it. Its a little stiff, but I think thats my personal set up. Granted I dont wheel it, so no comments on that.
036.jpg

You are right. The 16'' wheel came with the 5x5.5 pattern that has been used on the XJ/TJ/YJ/KJs.

The 16" Moabs are 5x4.5, the 17" are 5x5.5. 16" Moabs ended in '06. Just to Clarify. :looney:

Starboard M: you wanna sell your jeep. lol,

thats exactly what I want to build, looks amazing. I was eyeing the OME lifts, cause I heard the ride is great, but $900 for a 2.5" lift seemed steep.

I have some v8 wj coils that'll net 1" and get a 1.5 spacer, then for the rear, do a custom leaf pack, and I'll have my lift for probably under 100$.
well plus shocks I guess.

I guess reliability is all relative so, I'll hope I find a good one.

has anyone noticed a price increase on used cherokees lately?

I know I bought my 97 3 years ago w/ 104K and immaculate condition for 4600$ otd.

I am lucky to find a similar one now for 5 g's.

Its like cherokees are popular or something :rolleyes:

I dont really understand how a jeep with more lift and bigger tires somehow becomes less reliable?

Please explain.

no problem,

I had 33" mud terrains on the stock d30 and 8.25, I had 4.56 gears in the axles with open diffs. I had so many problems with steering at that height, (went through 2 boxes in 3 years), and 2 stock tie rod / drag links, unit bearings, (lost count, probably at least 4 sets)<= at least I had the year warranty from carquest, saved me alot of money. I had problems in the axles a lot. right before I sold it I had to put a new pinion bearing in the rear, as well as going through 2 sets of 4.56 r&p for the d30. I broke a tom woods rear driveshaft beyond repair and had to buy a new one, also right before it was sold. completely new internals in the 231, and a few other small things.

BTW, I don't do anything crazy, I don't wheel rocks, or anything too extreme, just trail riding and some mud.

Man that thing was a money pit.

no problem,

I had 33" mud terrains on the stock d30 and 8.25, I had 4.56 gears in the axles with open diffs. I had so many problems with steering at that height, (went through 2 boxes in 3 years), and 2 stock tie rod / drag links, unit bearings, (lost count, probably at least 4 sets)<= at least I had the year warranty from carquest, saved me alot of money. I had problems in the axles a lot. right before I sold it I had to put a new pinion bearing in the rear, as well as going through 2 sets of 4.56 r&p for the d30. I broke a tom woods rear driveshaft beyond repair and had to buy a new one, also right before it was sold. completely new internals in the 231, and a few other small things.

BTW, I don't do anything crazy, I don't wheel rocks, or anything too extreme, just trail riding and some mud.

Man that thing was a money pit.

i could see the steering issue... but thats simple, invest in a real steering system!

as far as everything else... you must be incredibly unlucky or really really heavy on the skinny pedal!

i dont get how you could have all those problems? maybe find a better base vehicle this time around?

You can use the newer JK wheels if you use an adapter. There is someone who posted pictures in the showcase forum who has the newer JK wheels and tires on his XJ.

As far as reliability, it all depends. There are people wheeling XJs with 39'' tires and have no problems. There are also people with stock XJs who have replaced everything in the Jeep and are still having problems. It depends on how hard you wheel, the Jeep itself, and how well you maintain it.

I personally have a XJ on the rubi take offs, with a 2.5'' OME lift kit and like it. Its a little stiff, but I think thats my personal set up. Granted I dont wheel it, so no comments on that.
036.jpg

Thats about where my Jeep will be sitting height wise. Do you get any rubbing at 2.5 inches on those 31-ish tires?

Thats what I thought, I just was not seeing as many of the 16" version on ebay. I would not be able to use the 17" version anyway with the different lug pattern.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for some 16's.

245/75R16 comes out roughly to 30.5" tire diameter, which would be perfect for what I wanted.

thanks for the info.

anyone with that setup care to comment on reliablility.

or am I just ignorant to think that a jeep can be problem free for extended periods of time.

i know a guy who may be selling his moabs if you are interested pm me

it was a decent base vehicle, 97 sport with 104k, old lady owned it.
just unluckyI guess.

no thanks on the moabs right now, I havn't even got another cherokee yet, just thinking about what I might do. thanks for the offer though.

No rubbing, but both sway bars are connected and it has never been offroad. :laugh3:

Thats alright it happens you should get another one to take offroad though that way the pretty one doesn't get beat up! :D

Thats about where my Jeep will be sitting height wise. Do you get any rubbing at 2.5 inches on those 31-ish tires?

I've 3"s discos in the front and rear removed, you get rub. Its not that bad but if I got any bigger, tires, I'll need to do some trimming.

24368020001_large.jpg

24368020062_large.jpg

The rear sway bar is still connected on this shot. Oh I have 245/75s.

Back