• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Swap Math: Check my numbers?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I think I know which parts I'm going to be using and where to source them (the junkyard for a lot of it)
but now comes the tricky part: it's my DD and I don't want to leave it in pieces while I get the axle swapped in properly. I want this axle to be built on jack stands & ready to bolt in before I loosen anything on the XJ - and for the new axle to go in smooth. Making matters worse, I never graduated high school. Math don't be my specialty, yo...
So I need to measure the offset, if any, in the WJ knuckle. If it is to the outside, I'll measure it as a positive. If to the inside (towards engine) it will be negative. This number will be "a"
Then I measure my current drag link length, from TRE center to center. Call this "b".
c will be my corrected drag link length, eye to eye
Then there is the joint itself. I'll go from end of the threaded section to the center eye. Call this d.
c-2d=C, my Correct Drag Link Length. Sound right?
The track bar, I don't know what to do with.
Maybe if I measure the vertical difference between frame side mount and pitman arm + vert. between drag link at knuckle & new axle mount for trac bar and try to duplicate the triangles? IE use pythagorean theory to determine my axle mount location & trac bar length / angles?
Any bright ideas? Am I on the right path here?

Simple but spendy. Still might be worth doing it their way by the time all is said and done.
Anyone have insights on the math, in case I decide to be a cheap bastard about it? Seems likely, since my hours are getting cut to about 1/2 what I worked through the winter...

Last edited:
Back