• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shaft Recommendations

waggy401

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Apparently I broke an axle shaft back on the 4th when the Sierra Chapter went to Hollister Hills. So, I wanted to get some current opinions for upgraded shafts as well as good prices and stores. Is there someone on this board I should contact?

Thanks for the help.

:repair:

What axle housing? What tire size?

Oops. Yeah, I guess that would help. It's a 2000 D30, no ABS, no disconnect. The tires are 33s.

I looked in the vendor's forum and found 4340 chromoly Dana 30 front axle kits by Nitro Gear & Axle from Just Differentials. They're a competitive price for alloys, and that lifetime warranty is appealing. Some of the others I have found are only a 5 year warranty. They quoted me $614 with outer axle tube seals and shipping. Is anyone running these? Are they any good?

I would love to go HP, but that would be quite a bit more money than I want to spend right now. The issue is that my axle is already geared at 4.56, which I replaced not that long ago because one of the spider gears broke and chewed up the ring gear. It's expensive to regear, partly because I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

Although, if someone out there has a HP D30 already geared 4.56 for sale for a reasonable price, let's talk. :spin1:

Last edited:
Well, I ended up getting the Nitro shafts from Just Differentials here on NAXJA, along with US Alloy joints and those fancy dust covers. But, something else is wrong. My axle is still very noisy. I just might give selarep a call, since it would be cheaper than replacing the gears again if that's what's broken. I'll have to take the cover off and take a look if I can find the time.

I have my reasons for doing things the way I do. Suggestions are fine, but don't tell me I'm doing it wrong just because I'm not doing it the way you would.

Well, I ended up getting the Nitro shafts from Just Differentials here on NAXJA, along with US Alloy joints and those fancy dust covers. But, something else is wrong. My axle is still very noisy. I just might give selarep a call, since it would be cheaper than replacing the gears again if that's what's broken. I'll have to take the cover off and take a look if I can find the time.

I have my reasons for doing things the way I do. Suggestions are fine, but don't tell me I'm doing it wrong just because I'm not doing it the way you would.

Did you buy the gears used and then install them? used gears when reinstalled will whine until they rewear a pattern. Just Differentials are great I have bought from them in the past.

No, the front gears are new from Yukon, as are the bearings and differential. It's not a whine, really. It's a pulsing noise that changes with speed and seems to be louder when decelerating. Like I said, I need to open it up and take a look.
Since most of the axle has been rebuilt, I either broke something in the differential or a hub bearing is going out. The transfer case has been professionally opened and serviced, and the drive shaft is OK.

The noise appeared on the way home from the Hollister Hills get-together, and the guy who checked and resealed my transfer case afterwards is the one who pointed out that the u-joint and ear on the front axle had come apart. Apparently the u-joint is not what was making all the racket. Also, at Hollister something in the driveline popped a couple times, which is why I took the transfer case in to begin with - I figured the chain was slipping. When they took it apart, the chain was still tight.

Back