• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tinylittle ring gear,

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up my new D30 4.88 gear set this past friday. I was struck by how tiny they are. Kinda scary to think of all that torque running through a gear that is a little less than 2" wide. :scared:

That's why I hear some guys don't go further then like 4.56...it gets to a point when the gears are super small to be that low.

~Scott

Picked up my new D30 4.88 gear set this past friday. I was struck by how tiny they are. Kinda scary to think of all that torque running through a gear that is a little less than 2" wide. :scared:

I've yet to see one break, personally. :) (Superior Gear, that is)

If your running stock shafts (297x or 260x) i would think they would break, Way before the ring or pinion... (?)

Way off there champ.

I have seen a 4.88 Yukon ring gear let go before the stock shafts did.;)

-Alex

I would say that is a unique experiance. Sure I have seen plenty of broken d30 gears but usaully that is after brakeing multiple shafts and u-joints. I have seen a HD30 30 spline shaft let go before the 4.88 gears.

Ya, I have seen 4.88's go. Justin crunched some teeth pulling me out of some soft spring snow..

That being said, I am putting 4.88's in my D30. :rof:

I plan on carrying spare shafts any route but lets just keep our fingers crossed on the gears. Least I don't have to worry about the rear 8.8

I plan on carrying spare shafts any route but lets just keep our fingers crossed on the gears. Least I don't have to worry about the rear 8.8

:wstupid:
And thank god for that.

~Scott

I had the same thought run through my mind when I got my gears too.

There's nothing wrong with 4.88's though. Set the gears up tight, and run a stout diff cover to prevent any deflection. The D30 isn't given enough credit in my opinion. For it's size it's a tough little axle.

knock on wood

Back