• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR SHACKLES

1989xj

NAXJA Forum User
I put a rusty's 6 and a half inch long arm kit on about a year ago and have been fighting the shackles hitting the body both on compresion and rebound. It seems to be getting worse I have tried all I can think of and can't get rid of it. I dont want to lift the rear any more or rebuild the rear suspension but I cant think of any other way to fix it. Any ideas would be great. Hopefully someone has a fix out there.

You may be able to fix it with a boomerang shackle.

IIRC Rusty's had a problem with their leaf packs about a year ago with the pack being the wrong legnth. You could try to call Rusty and see what he says.

Is the shackle hitting in the front or back?

i had same problem with the same leaf pack. i also did not want to go higher so i removed the bottom two leafs and put on the skyjacker 1.5 in shackle. with the longer shackle the spring rides flatter and flexes better. amazing actually. i might have to put a leaf back in if it settles any more. in my opinion i don't know know how rustys can sell that leaf pack, without a longer shackle it is crazy stiff, has no flex and bottoms out on the frame.

Order up the RE bommerang Shackles, talk to FullSizeXJ and see what he can do for you.

the shackle hits both front and back I tried pulling two bottom leafs and it was scary loose in the back so just dropped the bottom one and it seemed too do better for a little while then went to s**t again and actually got a little worse.. Dont the bommerang shackles lift the jeep?

they may, or may not, depending on what size you get.

revolvers, according to popular review, suck

and i was planning on doing the same thing. i will be removing two springs, the bottom and the 3rd from the bottom. ill leave the 2nd from the bottom so that the springs wont sag as much. and i will be putting in 1.5 inch lift shackels.

do that:laugh3:

removing springs from the leaf pack would make it worse i would think since the springs would flex more, making the shackles move more.

anyways, my RE shackles have a crescent shape cut out to clear the frame on the rear end, but i had problems hitting the bumper bolts, so i cut the ends off of the bumper bolts and no more probs

-Tim

Back