• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix engine swap ?

okie 1 ton yj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a complete 88 4.0, harness [underhood and dash] ecm, tranny, and t-case. I am about to pick up a 98 xj that is minus, engine, trans, case, underhood harness, and ecm. How hard would it be to swap the renix into the 98?

Beware, in most states it would be illegal to swap in an earlier model year engine and controls.

Depends on you.. You got to change everything. I just took a 87 chassis and installed everything from a 96 .

I'am still burned out.. But it's a great running jeep.

Nick

creativity. The wiring will be the bitch. Swapped a 95 auto 4.0L into an 87 manual. only issue i ran into was making a throwout bearing for the manual transmisson from an automatic bearing, not that bad.
Since you have the drivetrain already, you'll just have a bitch of a time stuffin all the wires through the firewall..
But in the end, it will work. The 87 motor had well over 300k on it until the piston rings and cam wore out. I could not believe that the crank bearings were stamped 1984, and they were in good shape!! Actually the worst thing was the cam, the lobes were worn dowm pretty good.

I should have just thrown in a good cam and new rings, would have been fine.

That 95 4L stills runs perfect even after the body desintergrated around it.

You will most likely need to swap every single wire in the whole XJ.

Everything, even with a RENIX engine harness and OBDI body harness it would be damn near impossible (I know, believe me). OBDII would just be downright stupid... haha

Yeah, swap over all the RENIX wiring, it'll work out with some time and thought!

like stated above, all the wiring will need to be swapped out as well as the ECU, TCU and something that I noticed was not mentioned was the fuel systems are different as well. You will need to swap over the tank/pump to get it to jive with the renix stuff. Unless your a wiring genius and could wire up the fuel pump to work with the renix system. We are in the process of doing a renix to HO swap and are doing just the opposite of what your doing. It is a job, but not too difficult. It all just takes time.

Back