• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle or tcase?

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
Ran my 231 without a rear ds for a while in 4wd, can this put enough strain on my non-cad d30 to cause damage? just some street driving, nothing crazy. After a while the tcase ran low on fluid and started to vibrate a lot, so i stopped, put the rear ds back in, drained what was left in the case(not much but had put in some rear gear oil to limp to an auto parts store) there didn't seem to be any metal shavings but i didnt really feel like feeling around in the steamy fluid. So yesterday i went to climb a rock just messing around at home, and i got part way up in 4lo then as i applied more gas, i heard a slipping sound, is this my R&P on the 30? or more likely the 231? (d30 had low-er fluid could still touch it with my finger, but it was filled and the problem continued)

Unless you have an SYE in the 231, running without the driveshaft caused a fluid loss. My guess is that chain is worn/loose...and now is slipping under strain.

aren't you supposed to run auto trans fluid in the 231?

you could pull one from a junk yard. If i lived in cali thats what I would do.

by one I mean a whole new 231.

Any metal is likely deposited on the magnet below the oil pump pickup tube inside the TC. If you pumped the TC dry and drove it around you most likely have a bigger problem that a stretched chain. Since you planning on tearing it down to replace the chain I'd go through the case and check bearings on the input/outputs shafts, the planetary gears, ect.

Everything is easy/cheap to come by with the exception of the planetary gears. If they are smoked inside might be easier to pickup another from a junk yard doner. If yours is good just slap a SYE kit (new stronger output shaft, rear bearing & retainer = seal) a new oil pump, input bearing/seal, chain, and front DS output bearing and seal and you'll be better than before. These guys are a great source of NP231 parts for and are local to me. http://www.transfercases.com/

If you do end up getting a replacement NP231 that make sure the input shaft has the same length and splices as the old one to match you tranny. If not you may be able to swap your old one in if it's in decent shape. Good Luck :variety:

thanks guys, i am planning on getting a whole new tcase and am aware of the input shaft issues, i was planning on selling my current 231 thats why i ask, i guess when i get this one out, i'll tear it down and have a look.

Yep. The input thing is a PITA to figure in when shopping for a donor. Here a link to the Novak Conversions site that shows you all the different ones that you'll run into. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm When I got a replacement TC mine was longer but had the right splines. So I cut it shorter :looney:

Ran my 231 without a rear ds for a while in 4wd, can this put enough strain on my non-cad d30 to cause damage? just some street driving, nothing crazy. After a while the tcase ran low on fluid and started to vibrate a lot, so i stopped, put the rear ds back in, drained what was left in the case(not much but had put in some rear gear oil to limp to an auto parts store) there didn't seem to be any metal shavings but i didnt really feel like feeling around in the steamy fluid. So yesterday i went to climb a rock just messing around at home, and i got part way up in 4lo then as i applied more gas, i heard a slipping sound, is this my R&P on the 30? or more likely the 231? (d30 had low-er fluid could still touch it with my finger, but it was filled and the problem continued)

You put gear oil in a t-case? Sounds like that might cause problems i think they are supposed to use ATF and gear lube is a bit different

yeah i know, all i had in the jeep at the time was gear oil, it was just an aide to get to an auto store to get atf, it was drained as soon as i got to the parking lot,

Back