• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dimming aftermarket head unit.

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have a 96 and 94 XJ. I'd like to be able to dim the face of the stereo/CD player. I have a Pioneer and would rather be able to dim it with the dash. Is there another manufacturer that makes a dimming head unit. I rarely have my dash at full illumination as I live about 25 miles from the nearest well lit town.

there should be a wire on your harness that is the dimmer switch, orange and white if i recall correctly. It auto dims the deck when the lights are on.

If you like to run w/ the interior lights really low... there may not be enough voltage to DIM the unit.

I would suggest maybe running a wire from a parking light output off of the HDL switch, to the radio that way it dims no matter what the level of the interior lights are.

Some units also have to have the DIM feature turned on in the menu.

My pioneer doesn't dim, however i didn't hook it up to see but it has a button on the front that just turns the entire face off while still on.

it may depend on the model, I've had a few different Sony units and the cheaper ones didn't have an auto-dim feature, you had to go into the settings and dim it manually. The mid-range ones dim as soon as you turn on the parking lights. But, they don't have a variable-dimming feature, just a preset brightness.

it may depend on the model, I've had a few different Sony units and the cheaper ones didn't have an auto-dim feature, you had to go into the settings and dim it manually. The mid-range ones dim as soon as you turn on the parking lights. But, they don't have a variable-dimming feature, just a preset brightness.

depends.

the Sony CDX-GT63OUI ($160 from crutchfield) has variable dimming (and contrast) and hooks up to the lights for auto-dimming. all ya gotta do is look at the specs.

really? Nice! I've got that one sitting next to my computer. Been meaning to replace the 430 in my XJ. Engine went out right after I got it, so I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I've had the 310, 520 and 430I.

I'd like to find a Pioneer one that does that. My current Pioneer and Clarion units in my 94 and 96 do not dim except on the unit itself and then it's not much.

I have a 5 yr old Clarion, unsure of model. It has a dimmer hookup, tho I've never used it.

really? Nice! I've got that one sitting next to my computer. Been meaning to replace the 430 in my XJ. Engine went out right after I got it, so I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I've had the 310, 520 and 430I.

I really like it, its in my subaru. I have the GTX10 or something in my XJ... the 3-4 year old bottom of the line one.. still sounds great! The 630 sounds a hell of a lot better than the Alpine I took out (see what I did there?) Alpines are overrated. :eyes:

Back