• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering filter

I don't think the flow rate would be high enough. You would need something more like a oil filter. I would just flush the PS system if you are concerned. Let it pump out while adding new.

I don't know what kind of filter is used, never sourced the part numbers. I don't know that I'd risk running anything other than a filter from one of the known PS companies. The one I have is a very simple inline filter from Tommy Lee (Lee Mfg) that has hose bib ends and goes inline between the cooler and the reservoir. It's a proprietary filter, so you can only get a replacement from Lee. What's the rest of your PS system?

The purpose of a filter is to keep contamination from a deteriorating part out of the other parts. Many times people chase PS problems, and cuss the manufacturer for bad parts, because the system is contaminated and ruins the new part. A filter can keep this from happening. A number of us around here have chased PS problems that were eventually solved only by replacing the entire PS system. In an ideal world a filter isn't necessary, and I heard that PSC is now not recommending a filter, but all of the top PS companies offer systems with a filter.

[FONT=&quot]I don't know if it is 'right' or not but I have been using 3/8" fuel filters, the type with a metal can, for thirty years on all my vehicles without any problems. They flow enough fluid not to cause any noticeable problems. YMMV
I presently use one on my XJ equipped with 33" tires, a PSC high-output pump and Extreme Duty steering box. It now has over 10,000 miles of street and trail use. We just got back from three days of trail running in the El Paso Mountains. The entire time the steering was a two-finger chore, even when worked hard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also use one on my Ford E-450 motor home’s power steering.

There are also inline filters made for automatic transmissions. They look similar but cost five times as much. When disassembled, the internals look the same as a fuel filter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would think if the filter did not flow well enough that there would be a lag in the steering or the can would blow apart.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I change the filter and the steering fluid every time the automatic transmission gets its oil changed. When the used filters are cut open, you can see some dirt and other stuff in the filter media.
As long as a filter flows enough fluid, without excessive backpressure, I cannot see where it would cause any harm and it sure has got to be good to catch any debris in the system.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. It looks just like the inline transmission filters that I have seen. Great price too.
I'm ordering a couple of them now.

[FONT=&quot]I don't know if it is 'right' or not but I have been using 3/8" fuel filters, the type with a metal can, for thirty years on all my vehicles without any problems. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

thanks for the real world experience, cant argue w/ 30 years....

Another reason for running one would be if you had the pump go out. Thus releasing metal particles into the system. Rather than flushing the entire system several times you could just slap a filter on it.

I know that's what GM recommends doing when an A/C compressor goes out. This traps all unwanted debris from the prior compressor and keeps it out of the new comp. and orifice tube. Same concept just a different system.

Back