• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix won't start, doesn't even crank.

overflow

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Wagoneer here, been restoring it for a while now. All the sudden it doesn't want to start; doesn't crank either.

The day before it stopped running, I had been trying to find a vacuum leak and was poking around under the hood. I've checked several times and can't find anything that may have become disconnected.

Same day, I also replaced the temperature control cable since mine got stuck at a certain point on the temperature "slider" (replacing the cable didn't help.) I also took apart the dash to re-glue it together trying to preserve the wood grain. During this procedure I also pulled out the clock and pulled out the bad backlight bulb so I can replace it later.

Drove it home about 10 miles and then it sat for four days. Went to move it in to garage to begin lift kit install and it wouldn't start. Not even a crank. Had to push it into the garage.

I can hear the fuel pump running, I have full headlights and interior power. Checked all fuses and they are good. Went and had battery tested today and it checked out fine. Ground cable is good in back. I've searched up and down and it sounds like the next steps are to check the CPS and/or TPS, but I just wonder if while we were installing the temperature cable, is it possible that I knocked something loose from the ECU or something else critical back there?

CPS and TPS would not affect cranking. locate the small wire on the starter and jump it to the terminal where the battery cable connects. If it cranks then start looking at the starter relay, the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch. I would start with the ignition switch (lower part of the steering column) since you were working in that area.

Try moving your shifter to neutral and try to start. Also try moving the shifter though the gears and back to park.

Nick

locate the small wire on the starter and jump it to the terminal where the battery cable connects. If it cranks then start looking at the starter relay

Oops! what I meant was not the small wire, but the terminal on the starter that the wire connects to.:dunce:

Try moving your shifter to neutral and try to start. Also try moving the shifter though the gears and back to park.

Nick

Ok I've tried this as well. I will jump those two wires tomorrow night and see how it goes.. just weird. Oh and I still have the vacuum leak, dunno if that has anything to do with it or not.

Vacuum leak has nothing to do with cranking.

Yeah, I just thought I'd mention that I was poking around looking for it just in case I accidentally disconnected something critical in the process. If I disconnected something from behind the dash could that keep it from cranking?

sounds like a NSS to me or possibly a bad ground. If you tried starting it in neutral and still nothing, then try the arcing of the starter. If the starter is good, then chase it back from there.

Back