• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how whimpy is my front axle?

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

(I have a 2000xj, +3inches, SYE,and lots of other stuff)

With out going into a huge dicsussion of alignments how did my castor angle get out of factory allowances when all I did was nose dive it off a 3 foot sand hill at the dunes?

Is the stock axle (d30?) really that whimpy? I admit it was a pretty good nose dive but heck, 10psi and lots soft fluffy sand, come on. I didn't even bend a tire rod. Heck at this rate I'll need to buy offset ball joints by the case.

Anyone got a spare d44 I can have?

Tom

Do you have offset joints in there now?

I have a 1/2 degree in the left, which I understand and accept. (accident/slid into ditch) Bout now it looks like I need a 1/2 in the right to get it back in the green, its .1 out. I'm just going to live w/it

oh crap I didn't want to get into an alignment discussion, my bad.

it's all in how you drive. Guy in Rapid is running a 30 with 34 and broke a u joint once and put the CV joints from a grand in and has been fine ever since.

Oh and he runs the hardest (5+) trails in SD.

You ask an alignment question, but don't want to get into an alignment discussion? :confused:

Your 3" lift probably put you at the edge of factory specs, even before the jumping heroics. There's not really a whole lot that could happen to the axle that would change the castor. If anything, you may have bent the control arms or the brackets they attach to. (frame or axle). Problems from jumping related to your axle would more likely mess with your camber.

oops! I meant CAMBER.

I just want to know how the axle holds up. I have a whole previous thread about my alignment woes, I was just trying to spare you all the repost/dead horse thing.

How do you guys wheel? and how does your d30 hold up.
The way some people on this board talk, I would think that someone would be able to tell me what kind of punishment this axle can take.
Perhaps the d30 grocery getter special really cant take much abuse. I go wheelin with some guys who fly over ruts and pound their Jeeps through mud holes and they don't seem to have many problems.

oh well,

I run my 30 with 35s and dont really have an issue but I also dont go jumping my junk either. with proper caution they hold up just fine

Back