• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem when in mud

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
so i had my 93 auto xj out in the mud the other weekend a couple times i had some trouble with it after i stopped and talked to my buddies. when i went to pull away it wouldnt go anywhere and kinda bogged out a bit so i would put it in neutral and rev it up go to drive and still nothing. wouldnt go anywhere and wanted to die. both times it happened i was on hills so i would get it going down the hill and then it would work better. there was alot of mud and water we went through not really deep,but does this seem like it could be something getting wet or tranny problems? even when we went back to my buddys when i was ready to leave the jeep did the same thing so i would come onto it till it would start going and gradually accelerated then worked fine on the way home. havent had any troubles since just driving it on the road.

oh man. another aw4 problem.:confused1
Could be alot of things...
start with checking your fluid level,and quality of fluid.
Then connections under the chassis.
then let us know

the fluid was fine i checked that when it was going on. i changed the fluid in the tranny and t-case not to long ago so its pretty fresh. i tried every gear on the gear shift when it happened and nothing worked. wanted to die in every gear except neutral and park i could rev it to keep it running. i'll have a look at the connections when it stops raining.

well that leaves the connectors,tcu, nss, and speed sensor. those are the only things that i can think of that would have any bearing on how the tranny functions.
Being that it only happens when in the mud, something must be getting wet somewhere.
hope the rain stops for ya.

so you dont think the tranny is getting bad? the jeep was really hot that day too. i had to let it cool down at one point cause the temp gauge was way up. i just dont want to take it out again if the trans is getting weak.

If the engine would not run, I would think it is engine related. If the AW4 was giving problem, the engine would rev up and the XJ would not move.

You may have gotten water/moisture on some of the electrical connections especially those associated with the ignition.

You did mention the engine getting hot. An over heated engine usually do not run properly if at all. Try to fix the over heating problem.

i cant remember forsure but something tells me i could get it rev up in gear and not move,but was alot easier in neutral and park to rev it up. but the motor didnt want to stay running and seemed to work better as i drove it more so i'm hoping something was wet

Last edited:
hmmm.
hard to say for sure, but it is a possibility that its going.
i have one broken aw4 in the driveway that doesnt rev too high when in gear, but then again i have no reverse, no neutral, and no 1/2 gear.
i would check all else before assuming the worst though.

check your alternator. mine was doing the same thing, i replaced the alt. and now its fine

iv got the same jeep and when i went mudding it did the same thing after i talked to my friends when i drove for a while i worked fine i think it was just the weight of the mud on the jeep and tires but idk im not a mechanic

Not to oversimplify this... but have you checked your plug wires, cap, & rotor? Wet ignition components can cause a condition like this. I would check this first...

It may have been overheating because you had too much mud/water in the radiator for air to pass. Also, check the alternator, they are mounted too low, should have been mounted up top.

In wet conditions, moisture can accumulate inside the distributor cap. Next time, pop the cap off and wipe out with a clean rag. Older spark plugs with an oversize gap make this issue worse also.

Back