• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modding AJ's Super Sliders

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I went wheeling on the 28th and I managed to put a dent in the tube on AJs Super Rail about 3" in diameter and actually bent the tube a hair.
Well anyway I am wonerong if anyone ever tie some flat stock to these to make sides on them. Or maybe for added strenth has anyone added some flat stock as a "step"

wow, those should have never bent - guess its the old you get what you pay for!

He's referring to the outer round tube of the SuperRails, not the main rail. Price certainly isn't an indicator of quality in the market, just a matter of how much profit a company wants to make. I can remember a company touting their 1/4" thick wall rails costing a good chunk more and then seeing a pic of them bent, and that was the main rail. We've had a few people put dents in the outer tube and we're in the process of beefing up some in the next run. It's not an easy balancing act of trying to make the best product at the lowest possible price. Especially when last summer steel prices skyrocketed and we just ate the difference.

BTW-anyone who has bought a set and would like to replace that outer tube can get it pre-bent, cut and the notched supports out of the heavier material for cost of steel-zero labor.

i think that even if you plated the top of the tube to make a "step" area, the tube itself still runs the same chance of being dented in. the fact of the matter is that no matter what, if you transmit pretty much the entire jeep's wieght thru one point on a tube, whether it be a bumper, rocker, exo-cage, the tube itself will still dent. a couple of buddys run aj rails and have dented them, all knowing that stuff like that just happens if you hit it right

Yea I emailed AJ ans we talked about this already. I am by no means complaining, He has a great product that saved my jeeps rockers more than once. I wheel my jeep pretty hard and thats what happened, the full weight of the jeep came down on the tube and dented it. I was just curious if there were any ways to beef it up. will continue wheeling it untill the get REAL messed up then replace with more beef. I have a small bent in my front Rusty's Baja bumper and a friend mentioned grinding it clean and filling the dent with weld then grinding flat. Does this sound like a feasable "repair" to make the tube round again?

good on ya AJ! the get what you pay for line was uncalled for

I went wheeling on the 28th and I managed to put a dent in the tube on AJs Super Rail about 3" in diameter and actually bent the tube a hair.
Well anyway I am wonerong if anyone ever tie some flat stock to these to make sides on them. Or maybe for added strenth has anyone added some flat stock as a "step"
You could do something like Protofab's.
xrockerguard06.jpg

I though I could damage my standard rails, but instead, I got a nice unibody crease in the d pillar.

Oooppss!!

i have personally seen a super rail take the whole weight of the jeep on a rock and it smashed and slide down the whole thing and it didn't budge... this was 2-3 years ago.

excellent rails, im sure any issue will be sorted by AJ!

I love my JCR's have had no trouble with them bending - them holy rollers are some good fabricators tell you what

All i have on my wifes jeep is JCR, now with that said.. She DENTED her outside tube..So the outside tube did it's JOB..I have AJ's RAILS on mine, the same rock did the same dent as my wifes rails..Now is this saying they are the same? I like the JCR rails, the wife loves how she can use them to get in and out of her jeep..Mine( AJ'S )are closer to the body, which i like..So before you FLAME anybody, you need to run both to see the differents..I found NONE in my books..BOTH have GREAT products..

Yea I emailed AJ ans we talked about this already. I am by no means complaining, He has a great product that saved my jeeps rockers more than once. I wheel my jeep pretty hard and thats what happened, the full weight of the jeep came down on the tube and dented it. I was just curious if there were any ways to beef it up. will continue wheeling it untill the get REAL messed up then replace with more beef. I have a small bent in my front Rusty's Baja bumper and a friend mentioned grinding it clean and filling the dent with weld then grinding flat. Does this sound like a feasable "repair" to make the tube round again?

Another option is that I could take a piece of tubing, slice it in half to slip over the area as a means to cover the area like a band-aid, only welded on. Better yet slap a glob of MIGHTY PUTTY on it! Just kidding.

But from what I gathered it was towards the front bend of the outer tube correct? Send me a pic via email and I'll make you a patch for both sides that extends back a way. I can just make one and show you if it's not quite clear. Sometimes I confuse myself after a long day....and today the easter bunny gave me ZERO eggs and locked me in the shop all day. :rof:

Another option is that I could take a piece of tubing, slice it in half to slip over the area as a means to cover the area like a band-aid, only welded on. Better yet slap a glob of MIGHTY PUTTY on it! Just kidding.

But from what I gathered it was towards the front bend of the outer tube correct? Send me a pic via email and I'll make you a patch for both sides that extends back a way. I can just make one and show you if it's not quite clear. Sometimes I confuse myself after a long day....and today the easter bunny gave me ZERO eggs and locked me in the shop all day. :rof:

Mighty Putty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4a4O7kXQo

Everytime I hear Billy Mays voice I want to buy that stuff and jam it in his mouth in hopes it really does work that good. :firedevil

Another thought I had...sometimes I have multiple ones in a row..not often but it happens. Is I could make a top and/or bottom plate out of 1/8, dimple die it for some bling.

Back