• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle upgrade Question

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So yeah, !!!1, Ill get it out of the way for ya...

But several questions regarding upgrading the front end... I want to keep my rig stock width or close to it. I plan on picking up a 96+ exploder 8.8 as soon as I can find one with 4.10's (hopefully the limited slip as well but thats an afterthought). Eventually will be going to 4.56's or 4.88's depending what tires I go to... probably with the super 88 kit if I start breaking stuff.. I plan to stop at either 35" or 36" tires. Right now going from stock 3.07's to 4.10's with my 33"s will be nice.

I searched around, went through all the junkyard upgrade threads, searched for axles and found lots of full width axle work and stuff that may be overkill for me seeing as I have heard that some people run their D30 with 35"s and just carry spare shafts incase of a break.

I want something stronger than the D30 since I hope to put a selectable locker in it somewhere down the line, as I will be doing with the built 8.8. As it stands I am heading to the pull yard looking for a 97+ HP D30 with 4.10's just so I can drive it for the time being since I am getting the 8.8 soon and wont be pushing above the 33"s i got now until late this year or early next year.

Are there any axles out there that are a stock width swap for the XJ that provide a decent strength upgrade? Or would I need to do a custom/shortened axle in order to get any real strength increases? (both are options, but as I plan on stopping at 36"s the extra work could get expensive if not needed)

Also are there any UCA/LCA's that work with the XJ that might be a bit longer than stock. I dont NEED them right now as I am at 3.5" of lift, but it would be nice. I will be upgrading when I add extra lift, but just something to improve ride quality a bit for the time being. I know WJ's have the stronger/curved arms but IIRC they are the same length.

Thanks for any help, tried searching here and google and came up with nothing down my exact line of interest. And happy holidays all

Regards
-Scott

you dont need that axle to be 97 plus. just go find a jeep cherokee that is NOT a 2000 or 2001 (low pinion) and make sure it has a 4 cylinder engine, and it should have 4.10 gears. The older ones maybe vacuum disco, but if you get a blockoff plate for it then these are actually stronger since the UCA mount is MUCH more heavy duty, other wise id say reinforce this mount...

As for upgrading the axle, get chromoly axle shafts (ten factory/alloy usa/nitro or superior), and a nice stiff cover like ruff stuff or Riddler. If you plan on running 35s, save yourself some money and just gear to 4.88s for 35s. But running 4.10s for free from those axle swaps will be fine for 33s, and safer IMO.

FWIW i run a HP30 front out of a 4 cyl with Alloy USA axle shafts and a rear 8.8 with disks, 31 splines, and a Riddler Cover.

you dont need that axle to be 97 plus. just go find a jeep cherokee that is NOT a 2000 or 2001 (low pinion) and make sure it has a 4 cylinder engine, and it should have 4.10 gears. The older ones maybe vacuum disco, but if you get a blockoff plate for it then these are actually stronger since the UCA mount is MUCH more heavy duty, other wise id say reinforce this mount...

As for upgrading the axle, get chromoly axle shafts (ten factory/alloy usa/nitro or superior), and a nice stiff cover like ruff stuff or Riddler. If you plan on running 35s, save yourself some money and just gear to 4.88s for 35s. But running 4.10s for free from those axle swaps will be fine for 33s, and safer IMO.

FWIW i run a HP30 front out of a 4 cyl with Alloy USA axle shafts and a rear 8.8 with disks, 31 splines, and a Riddler Cover.

Yeah, I figured I would go with the later years since, well... they are newer. I have completely redone my D30 (hubs, ball joints, wheel joints, etc) in the past year so whatever axle I find I will probably swap everything over to the new axle, just keep the gears. keep other stuff as spare parts.

As for keeping the D30, and the setup you run, what size tires are you running on that setup and what kinda wheeling you do? I would be hitting mostly trails and maybe some rocks.

Right now I am torn on a D44 from a waggy if I can find one. I think the waggy is pretty close to the stock width (I'm not sure on the stock XJ width right now, and I am too lazy to look, but waggy is in the low 60"s wide IIRC).. I cant remember if XJ was slightly narrower or not, but I know the 8.8 is 1" narrower unless I get the super 88 kit which like I said, will come if it is needed. I would rather not lose 1" of width in the rear and gain some in the front.. might look odd :D I like my axles being the same front to rear (or close enough to not be obvious, call it a personal preference)

I am in the middle of doing this same swap - 8.8 with 4.10's (no LS though since I am adding an Aussie) and a d35 out of a 4 cyl with 4.11's and thats also getting the Aussie treatment

Speaking of the 8.8... I figured I would grab one of the kits to do the swap for $120 (yeah I know it can be done for essentially free if you are careful when you cut off the spring perches and you can re-use them... or make your own) but what vehicles/years did the 28-spline 8.8 and the 31-spline 8.8 come in. Did they pull something like Jeep did with the spline count changing in a specific year, or is it different applications? I know I found some sites talking about a 31-spline axle in a mustang, etc, not sure on the exploders

Edit: did a bit more looking and found the explorers have the 31 spline while rangers typically have the 28 spline

ALL exploders have a 31 spline 8.8 from 91-2001(? until whenever they went to independent rears) the 91-95 had drums and the later are discs - its easy to spot the discs in the JY because they are the newer looking rounded exploders
oh, and dont rry to save the old stuff - spend the money with ruffstuff specialties and get their diff cover while you're at it(the stock one is VERY thin) because the stuff is grade A beef and its only $10 shipping anywhere in the US - and he ships it ASAP and it arrives within 3 days

Yeah, def getting ruffstuff kit if I got a kit at all, and good to know the cover is real thin. I was going to hold off on the cover but hearing that I wont.

Side note, how does the scout II D44 front hold up?

I could pick up a Front/Rear D44 combo from a scout II...
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/pts/1109349963.html

Yeah, def getting ruffstuff kit if I got a kit at all, and good to know the cover is real thin. I was going to hold off on the cover but hearing that I wont.

Side note, how does the scout II D44 front hold up?

I could pick up a Front/Rear D44 combo from a scout II...
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/pts/1109349963.html
It's a passenger side drop.
It's narrower than your D30.
it has Zero Caster.

Not a viable option for you.

Alright, thanks, found a link to it somewhere as to why it could be good, and I saw the narrower part but I figured maybe it was a mistake... shows why I shouldnt trust stuff on google and only trust stuff I find here. Not sure why the other site had scout II axles and was discussing them with reference to an XJ then. :shrug:

It seems like you're trying to make it hard on yourself.

HP D30 w/ 297s won't mind your 33s at all. I (and dozens of others) run 35s locked without issue.

If you're really that worried, and you're just dying to spend money, thow in a set of alloy shafts and be done with it.

Robert

Back