• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HDoffroad unibody stiffener write up (with lots o pics)

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
so basically i was getting tired of all the creaking that my jeep was doing even when going around corners, soooooo i went ahead and shelled out the clams (not that many for what you get), and got stiffeners from BRIANHO13 on www.hdoffroadengineering.com. here is what showed up:

P4080768.jpg

at first glance i was pretty happy with what i got, although i was surprised at how light they were, but i suppose that could be because of the bazillion plug weld holes. these are made of 10ga sheet metal, which is slightly thicker than 1/8"(11GA), and slightly thinner than 3/16, which to me was a pretty good compromise of weight and strength.

one of the first things i had to do was modify where they had the crossmember bolt slots due to me having the TNT long arm kit:

P4080770.jpg

P4080771.jpg

next i had to start taking apart some of the crossmember mounting points, and cut off the crush sleeves to fit. i also decided not to completely drop the crossmember, instead i would just lower it enough to slide the stiffeners in

P4080772.jpg

next came the really dirty part: cleaning off the rubber undercoating it went fairly quickly with an angle grinder and wire brush, but what id didnt take off was the paint, which i ended up being happy about. I decided that in order to keep some sort of protection from the elements i would only take off paint where i needed to, and not off the whole rail. i mocked up the stiffeners and with a sharpie i marked where all the plug welds were going to go, and only ground off where i needed to.

P4080774.jpg

P4080776.jpg

I also decided to use some of Krylon's "weld through" primer to prime the backside of my stiffeners. I used this not because i was planning on welding through it, but because it doesnt burn... this way there is still some weather protection, but still no paint where the welding is going to go...

P4080777.jpg

P4080778.jpg

Next came the mounting up... i only had 2 large C-clamps and a hydraulic floor jack, so i started at the front, would clamp and jack, spot weld, and then move back. this method seemed to work pretty well with getting things tight.

P4080779.jpg

then there was the welding.... lots and lots of welding... and moving from side to side and front to back to make sure nothing got too hot.

P4090780.jpg

let me tell you, there are a lot of plug welds on this thing....... IMO its kinda excessive, and something like the ones ruffstuff has is probably more than sufficient.

i then ground things down to smooth them out

P4090781.jpg

Then i used some primer that i have heard good things about, this is the first time i have used it, so i guess i will find out how good it really is. Rustoleum self etching primer... first i cleaned it up with some acetone to make sure everything was squeaky clean, then coated it up. it had great coverage in my opinion so i am happy with it at this point.

P4100793.jpg

P4100794.jpg

I dont have any pics of it with final black paint on it, but i think we get the idea.

Overall thoughts on this install: not that hard, just some good ol grunt work. it took me about 3 evenings to complete, so thats not too bad either. I took it for a test drive and was VERY happy with the results. no more creaking when i drive over a man hole... i even took it up on a rock to flex it, and it barely made noise... this is a vast improvement from what it was. even just the feel on road driving is improved, it just feels much more solid than it was. now a couple of things to consider is that i do have the TNT belly skid tying these together which no doubt helps. I also have a very solid rear bumper, front bumper and the track bar brace, so there are a lot of things tying frame rails to frame rails. i think my next item on the list is plating from the back of these stiffeners to the bumper, and same on the front. i have not decided if i want to get the TMR ones or just make my own...

Final Note: i would like to thank NAXJA as a whole, and all the writups that i have read to get my rig to where it is now, and doing it right... i am glad that i can give a little bit back.

G

Thanks for the write up we have been complating droping the number of welds, there are a bunch to weld that is for sure.

We should have front and rear stiffeners out real soon.

got over spray??

Any reason you did not go with the TNT stiffeners that seam would fit better with the TNT long arm kit?

Good write up!

got over spray??

Any reason you did not go with the TNT stiffeners that seam would fit better with the TNT long arm kit?

Good write up!

Thats what I have on my rig and definitely would NOT go with them again. They were just the only ones out when I got mine.

For one, they are too thick in my opinion at 3/16" which is a lot of weight. They also have NO plug weld holes drilled so you have to drill your own if you want to.

These HD offroad engineering are much better in my opinion. Lighter, already have the holes drilled, and also cheaper. Thumbs up HD engineering!

Thats what I have on my rig and definitely would NOT go with them again. They were just the only ones out when I got mine.

For one, they are too thick in my opinion at 3/16" which is a lot of weight. They also have NO plug weld holes drilled so you have to drill your own if you want to.

These HD offroad engineering are much better in my opinion. Lighter, already have the holes drilled, and also cheaper. Thumbs up HD engineering!

Yeah what he said. The time and effort savings to not have drill holes was huge. And it really wasn't a big deal to notch out another slot. Yeah a little overspray but it's not a big deal

Hey G, Thanks for the write up; nicely done. I ordered mine about a week ago and am looking forward to this addition to my XJ. I have a 6 inch FTS lift and I'm curious how I'll go about it (long arm mounts on the frame). I may end up beveling the edges of the mounts and burning them to the new surface. Should be good though.

Thanks for the write up we have been complating droping the number of welds, there are a bunch to weld that is for sure.

Any eta on those bad boys? Cause that would be awesome if someone besides TMR had something for the sake of options.

Hey G, Thanks for the write up; nicely done. I ordered mine about a week ago and am looking forward to this addition to my XJ. I have a 6 inch FTS lift and I'm curious how I'll go about it (long arm mounts on the frame). I may end up beveling the edges of the mounts and burning them to the new surface. Should be good though.

You should take soMe pics so people have an idea of what this will take on a non bolt on. I have no doubts you will like it

I will take pics. The FTS system I have is completely bolted on and the plating will mis-align the bolt holes by that much... so I've decisions to make!

I'll report back.

cant wait!

Well, this just sold me on getting some :D

Sounds like a good b-day present to myself in about 3-4 weeks...

Nice write-up!

Ruffstuff also has stiffiners. They have rosette holes. They go to floor and allow for an easier cleaner weld.

I had already installed tnt stiffiners before anything else was out.

BTW- Easiest way to remove undercoating. Use propane or mapp torch and stiff blade.
Then brake cleaner to remove residue.

Just in time with the hint agent 98... I was dreading the undercoating removal more then any other part of the project. The task just became alot simpler. Thanks.

Ruffstuff also has stiffiners. They have rosette holes. They go to floor and allow for an easier cleaner weld.

BTW- Easiest way to remove undercoating. Use propane or mapp torch and stiff blade.

hmmm yeah that would have probably worked better... oh well, it didnt take too long with the grinder, but it was definatly a messy job.

After seeing Brian beat on his Jeep like he does. I would buy anything from him before ruffstuff, not that there is anything wrong with their products but i can drive down and get them from HD offroad since its an hour away. Speaking of that when i get some extra money i'll drive down and get some replacement rockers! :D

How hard are these to weld?
Do you need a pretty heavy duty unit to install these?

I've got soo many creaks its driving me crazy.

My welder is a Hobart 187. But I set my settings to the 12ga setting which even low power 110 units should be able to do no problem.

I was thinking that I could rent a lincoln unit from home depot for cheap and do it. (With help of course.)

Back