• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Relocation Kit and Sending Units

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at getting an oil temp and an oil pressure gauge and not sure where I should tie into for the sending units. And then I saw on Summit / Jegs that there is an oil filter relocation kit for the 4.0L. This would provide a Cap to go on the stock filter location and run soft lines to the new filter location.

Would the lines going to and from the filter be good for Oil Pressure and Oil Temp?

Thanks!

Usually those relocation adapters have plugged off ports for things like a cooler. Those may work although you may need to make sure it's grounded good.

I was planning on mounting the relocation plate to the passenger side fender and then having the sending units plug right into the metal adapter and have the soft line plug into the sending units.

I added a tee to the factory sender to run my mechanical pressure gauge. Easy and economical. You can also hug the block/other lines with the capillary tubing. As for the temp sender, I will probably run a tee off of the output line on the block plate. A quick trip to your local Ace or hardware store will get everything you need for less than $20.
I have a 2000 and mounted the filter on the passenger side but, I also replaced and moved the overflow tank to the drivers side.
I used the summit universal kit and like it.
HTH

Pressure can go pretty much anywhere. I put a 1/8" NPT close nipple into the OEM sensor port, put a 1/8" NPT female T fitting on it, and then screwed the OEM sensor into the run and put a dry-break QD fitting onto a close nipple on the branch. I've got the mating fitting on my mechanical gage, so I don't even have to play with the sensor to check it.

The temperature is a bit trickier, as you'll need to get full flow over the sensor tip. The remote oil filter mount may actually have a temperature sensor port in the thing, or you can phony something up using a T fitting and hose barbs.

Sorry to hijack.
5-90, what is a dry break fitting? I assume it is either one that doesn't leak when removed or one that closes in the event of leakage but, you know what they say about assume.
Thanks for the knowledge.

So I am going to be building a custom gauge cluster that will be using after market gauges. Does the Port for the current Oil Pressure Sender Location use a universal sending unit thread, so that an Autometer sending unit would be s direct swap.

I am going to use all digital gauges so I will have full sweap, with that they are all going to need new sending units. Thats why I thought I would relocate the oil filter to make it one easy to change along with providing oil lines that I can easy tap into with out having to drill into the block...

Sorry to hijack.
5-90, what is a dry break fitting? I assume it is either one that doesn't leak when removed or one that closes in the event of leakage but, you know what they say about assume.
Thanks for the knowledge.

Right in one. You know how air fittings close the line when you take them apart? That's a "dry break" - the same thing can be found in hydraulics.

These fittings actually allow me to connect a mechanical oil pressure gage - with the engine running - and disconnect it after I'm done - with the engine running. I lose 2-3 drops of oil, total, in one "make" and "break" cycle. Dry enough for me.

I got them from the Parker-Hannifin fluid power dealer here in town. The nipples and T fitting are brass, I got those from the hardware store.

So I am going to be building a custom gauge cluster that will be using after market gauges. Does the Port for the current Oil Pressure Sender Location use a universal sending unit thread, so that an Autometer sending unit would be s direct swap.

I am going to use all digital gauges so I will have full sweap, with that they are all going to need new sending units. Thats why I thought I would relocate the oil filter to make it one easy to change along with providing oil lines that I can easy tap into with out having to drill into the block...

1/8" NPT, as I said. It may not be truly "universal," but it's pretty damned close (it's been on every engine I've worked on in the last 25 years or so...)

Back