• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the 99 good year?

Rubican!

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with 135,000 on it i drive for work. I put about 20,000 a year on it and it runs great. My trail rig is a 2008 JK Ive got built pretty good. I have the Rubi wheels and tires left over from the lift and i see that spider trax makes the adpaters to make them fit and im wondering if the 99 is worth puttign any money into. Basicly im trying to get my wife into wheeling and the XJ is an auto. And the tires and rims are in great shape so basicly all i need is 4.5 lift. What do you guys think? just drive the wheels off the XJ and dump money into the JK or go ahead and lift the xj since i already have the tires and rims?

the 99 is very worth it. the engine is just barely broke in;) look around, someone will be selling their lift, cuz they'll git a bigger one, and theres a couple of folks on here who do pretty good deals on lifts. my 89 has 206k on it, and i know folks on here have even more on their jeeps than i do.

best year in my opinion. HP D30, 0630 head not prone to cracking, best flowing intake.

I have a 99 and love it. 99 was the only year I was going to buy for the reasons mentioned above. If you have the means to build 2 rigs, go for it!

I used 06 rubi rims and wheels on my 94 without adaptors. What is the new bolt pattern?

06 was the last year for the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, then they went to a 5 x 5 pattern

I bought a 2000 because I thought that newer was better. Later I found out that was wrong. My 2000 has a cracked head and I've picked up a 98 head to go in it's place and then adapt in the exhaust. '99 also has the high pinion front axle. If I went hunting again, I'd be looking for a 98 or a 99 with the pre 0331 head. There have also been posts of 2000's with apparent casting porosity in the #1 cylinder bore.

I've got a '99, 125K. The only thing I've ever done to it is replace the belt and new brakes.
It runs so good I was able to talk my wife into buying a Jeep.

Back