• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke from under the hood

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ 4.0L. It just donned on me that my engine ground was green. the whole thing up and down. Seriously it looked like something the green lanturn would wear. Anyhow i had a lot of fuss getting the nut off to take the old ground off. I used a lot of WD-40. I got the new ground on and fired it up. about 5 seconds later white smoke starts coming up from that area. I rechecked the grounds they were tight and not hot. Is this just the WD-40 burning off? I used quite a bit of it and got it pretty much everywhere back there. thanks.

Anybody?

i would guess it ws just the lube burning off

should I just leave it on and let it burn off then? or try to wipe it down with something?

Spray a little WD on a piece of metal and see if you can get it to burn. If it does, I'd think seriously about trying to wash it off, just so your Heep won't have a "thermal event". I think it will be OK. Do you have a fire extinguisher?

Wow. "Thermal event". Got a good chuckle out of that. I called the dealer up and they said its normal and just stand by it and let it burn off. I left the hood open:repair: and it started to rain :cool:. Fired it up and it didn't smoke a bit.

No, I do not have a "Portable thermal event limiter canister". :geek:

Back