• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper mounts

MYXJ22

NAXJA Forum User
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/MYXJ22/?action=view&current=IMG_0106.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3

This is the result of my last rear bumper w/tire carrier and my 35" spare. I now need to get this ready to mount another bumper to. Thinking about either the Detours or Rigidco. Anyhow I drilled small holes at the end of each of the cracks and I plan on welding up the cracks and grinding everything smooth. How else can I increase the strength so that this doesnt happen again? I have some 22 gauge sheet metal that I planned on welding on the outside, plating it. But I need help with ideas. For those of you who know this are of the XJ it is pretty tuff to get back in there where the factory welded nuts are to secure it from behind, this is where I need the most help because the old bumper "pulled" the nuts through and also cracked the brackets on the other side. Any suggestions?

I would never hang a tire off the factory bumper mounts only(specially a 35").As already said,put some back-up plates in to fix that then tie into the framerail bolts.
rear%20bump2.jpg

Last edited:
I had some brackets that ran along the frame rails but they were not very long or near as extensive as those pictured.

Its really hard to plate behind due to the shackle location and gas tank. The outer bolts leave you practically no room due to the shackles.

Any size tire for that matter. over time the vibration will also cause cracks like that. Those are good for bumper alone action. I wouldn't even hook a tow strap to pull someone with it. Just not safe.

patch up those cracks as best as possible and yes a 1/8 or 1/4 plate on the bolt section and redrill holes in plate... some people i have seen here run a plate all the way across so you would have one piece with 8 holes for that section... that would help distribute the load of a heavier bumper and spare tire carrier system... thats thick gauge unibody too kinda scary looking if ya ask me! i would really like to see after pics with spot/patch welds to see if using those bolt holes are really going to be safe again... good luck!

Adding material to the outside of the mounting area will throw off the
fit of any 'jigged' bumper available by any vendor. Even that 12ga. will
throw off bolt connections & fit by almost 1/8".......dosent seem like much,
but could cause some headache.

No matter who you purchase your bumper from, make sure they're aware
of the modification and be sure they can work with you for proper fit.

Thanks for the posts,

Mark do you think you could build some more supports that run further along or into the frame rails for me if I order your bumper? I know you say its sturdy enough and I trust you, I just dont trust my XJ after whats already happened.

We should talk about that thru emails,
Detours just changed servers, so I may know longer have you on file....
give me a shout.

Glad to hear you drilled, welded & ground.

We're heading West for 2 weeks Saturday, if Im slow to reply...thats why.

Back