• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell if I have A Limited Slip?

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee Country, it has a Dana 35, with ABS. It does not have a tow package.

Is there any way to tell without opening up the Dif?

How long of a burnout would i have to do? I chirped the tires last night and it left two marks......probable about 6inches long on the driverside and 8 inches on the passenger side.

I believe someone told me on tis site that you could get the definitive answers to exactly what your cherokee came with by takign the VIN number to your local jeep dealership and letting them look it up and they can tell you anything about your jeep, I was thinking about doing it myself

I have a 2000 with limited slip...there is a sticker on the inside of the glove compartment door stating some warning about not putting the vehicle in drive with only one rear wheel jacked off the ground.

Also, there should be a metal tag on the diff housing indicating limited slip additive, if you have this tag, you have limited slip.

Then there is the spin test described in other threads on this forum...basically, chock the front wheels, jack up the rear (both sides off the ground), put tranny and xfer case in neutral. Then spin on rear wheel by hand...if it is hard to turn and the other wheel turns same direction, then it is limited slip. If other wheel turns opposite direction, then it is not or your limited slip is shot...or something like that...

It sounds like you have one to me...
the way i checked mine was i did a burnout with one tire in dirt and one on pavement...but its sounds like you have more than enough info so far

Thanks for all the info guys, I am pretty sure i have one. I gotta check the tag on the Diff, which i have seen before. But there is no sticker in the glove box. So best way seems to be burnout.

Thank.

Pben

no no, just jack it up and turn the rear tire in neutral by hand. if the other goes the opposite direction it is open.

So, my 1998 has the glove box sticker, and an axle sticker that says 3.55 Trac-Loc. Am I correct in assuming this requires the same friction modifier as the 2000 locking unit? (I only have a service manual for the 2000 XJ)

2000 limited slip unit...careful about calling it a 'locking' unit...might offend those who have true lockers...:)

But yeah, same additive...forgot what the ratio is though...

The manual suggests going to synthetic for towing applications.That is what i am going to do ,most synthics do not need the additive for limited slip.

I found the little tag on the rear diff.... It said use limited Slip fluid.
Thanks everybody.....Big Help...

rsliman said:
is there a rebuild kit for trac-loc... i cant seem to find one anywhere

www.4wd.com - part number 8120325 or 8120326

www.quadratec.com - part number 52411.03 and 52412.11 or 52412.12

Always use tracloc limited slip additive, its about $5.00 a bottle. Tell the parts store guy you have a posi-traction and you want the additive.

Last edited:
Back