• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Clean-up: 4/18

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Project: SOLV Day Cleanup

Project Date: April 18, 2009

Meeting Time: Registration begins at 8:15 A.M. / Clean-up from 9:00 – 1:00

Meeting Location: Summit of Highway 6 at the ODOT Sand shed (Milepost 33).

Project Location: The cleanup sites are located in the Browns Camp, Rogers Camp, Drift Creek, Reehers Camp area, and along the Wilson River Highway corridor.

Project Description: Clean up of tire dumps, clean up of garbage at dispersed camping areas, illegal dumpsites, and areas along forest roads and trails, and removal of abandoned vehicles. Work may require walking and working on steep terrain. ODF group leaders will be provided to guide volunteers to clean-up areas.
It looks like I have that day off, so I may try and make this. Anyone else interested? Go do some manual labor for a few hours, hit a couple quick trails after, and then head home at a reasonable time. :thumbup:

sorry, i will be cramming in last minute preps for the sand flea rally. Dustin dont forget to log the total hours and get it to Ken if he does not show.

Wow, this was a HUGE success today. Although I was the only one from NAXJA, we had a lot of volunteers from many different clubs come out and help. I was unaware that this was an annual event, and this year was the 17th annual SOLV clean-up.

The weather was outstanding all day.
IMG_0001.jpg

We split into different groups in morning all working on different sites. We headed back down the highway and north on 26 to a place called Wolf Creek.

Site #1: We managed to find 3 tires and rims, one chest freezer, a garbage can, 8 contactor bags full of discarded bathroom tiles :)mad:), and several bags of trash.
IMG_0003.jpg

Site #2: We spent most of the time picking up shell casings and blown apart electronics. I was pretty surprised what 15 minutes did to the site. You couldn't even tell a gun was ever fired.
IMG_0004.jpg

This was a very nice FJ62 complete with a diesel (1HZ?) too.
IMG_0005.jpg

I slacked off on the pictures the rest of the day. We made it to 3 more sites and managed to pick up numerous bags of trash, a dishwasher 100ft down a bank, some more tires, and a 14ft camper that was stripped of it's frame. I think in total we had about 25 bags of trash, maybe more.

On the way back to offload the junk we collected, I had a little issue.
IMG_0006.jpg

My drivers side rear drum started to squeal going down the highway (65mph), and when I pressed the brakes the pedal went to the floor. Not a good feeling, fortunately I have a manual and was able to downshift and pull over. I took the tire off and pulled the drum to find the adjuster, and spring laying on the drum.
IMG_0007.jpg

After reconnecting the spring, and adjusting the shoes the brakes felt fine. I'm going to check them again, but hopefully it was a one time freak accident. Just gives me more of a reason to do a disc conversion though. :D

Last edited:
After off loading the junk I headed up to FB5 to catch up with the group from Cascade Cruisers.

Chad in his luxury station wagon.
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

This was the end point. He just didn't have enough clearance to make it over.
IMG_0014.jpg

Plug.
IMG_0016.jpg

I jumped in the rock garden after Chad, and made it to the same spot as. I also had the same clearance issue too. Both front tires are off the ground, and the rear has a significant ledge to climb. This must be a new change, because I don't remember this squeeze section.
IMG_0017.jpg

Bill in the FJ giving it a go. He decided it wasn't his day, and on his way off the rocks he blew a front CV joint.
IMG_0021.jpg

I followed him out and made sure everything was alright. Before heading home I got a chance to test the new OBA. It worked awesome. :thumbup:
IMG_0022.jpg

All in all it was an very eventful day. Mark 4-18-10 on your calendars for next years clean-up. I know I will be there.

Last edited:
Quick vid of Chad getting a tug. The Crusier pulling him is an FJ60 with a Cummins 4bt, 4L80E (converted to manual operation), and sitting on 38s. I'm sad to say I would trade my Jeep anyday for his wagon. :shhh:

Thanks for contributing Dustin. every little bit helps. and it sounds like like you guys accomplished alot !

Looks like it was perfect weather for a lil trail run. Good job on the OBA. looks really nice. very clean and simple install.

Thanks for putting in the time Dustin, sorry I couldn't make it. Check to make sure your backing plate isn't folding like a taco. When my 44 drums let go it was because of a warped backing plate.

Back