• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lumina Z34 hood vent install

When i picked up these hood vents i didnt know of very many people running them. i like the way these look on an xj. but the part i liked the most about them is that they have drip pans with them as well. my jeep does not like to get the engine wet- runs like crap until the TPS dries out. i had put this project off for about 8 months so far. originally i had found a set of Le Baron hood vents, but that wouldnt work for me with the engine getting wet and i wasnt too keen on their looks. ideally i would have loved to find a set of ZJ hood vents but those have pruven to be a very difficult part to get my hands on. Good thing i waited though as i later found a couple sets of vents off of a Chevy Lumina Z34. later i also found a huge hood vent off a dodge laser with a massive drip pan, but i like the z34 vents better.

here are the vents that i picked up
1000651.jpg

the first thing that i did was to create a template. i knew it needed to be somewhat rigid, but still easy to cut to shape. at first i had tried to use corrugated cardboard but that was too thick for the way these vents mount up (via "nubs" on one side, pictured later) and could not give me an accurate fit up. so instead i used an old cereal box. heck, it was a good excuse for me to gorge myself on some cereal- i needed the box, never mind the box was nearly full.

i dont have any pics of making the template as i had made it several months ago while i procrastinated on starting the actual install. to make it i basically traced the outline of the vent (which was upside down) onto the cardboard. that gave me my first reference line to go off of. DONT USE THIS FIRST OUTLINE TO CUT!! it is only a reference line. to find where the line to cut on is you have to do a lot of measuring. measure how far in you want the metal to go under the lip of the vent. it varies on each side. the side that where the metal get sandwiched between the nubs and the lip may be difficult to get an accurate measurement for. in that case, slide the edge of the cardboard template in that groove and mark the cardboard at the outer edge of the lip on the vent. remove the vent and measure the distance from the mark and the edge of the cardboard. that measurement is how far in the cut line has to go inside of the outline on the template. the other sides are easier to measure as a tape measure can get in there. i put the short sides in enough that the cut is just outside the slightly angled part. the remaining long side was measured so the cut is just outside of the three female threaded stud posts. measure not once, nor twice but a whole heck of a lot of times. once you are satisfied with your measurements transfer them to the template. double check the lines placed on the template are correct. cut the template out on the cut line. a very sharp knife or box cutter works great. i marked on my template which side has the nubs on them. the fit was not quite correct with the sides opposite of how it was laid out. this means that the template would have to be flipped over (like turning the page in a book) when laying out the other side on the hood.

my template is actually a copy of the first one i had made out of corrugated cardboard, so mine does not have the outline on it, just the cut line, annotation for the nubs and forward reference arrow.

here are the nubs that i was taking about.
nubs.jpg

after cutting your template, check to make sure it fits ok. this is where the thinner paperboard comes into play instead of the corrugated cardboard. the cereal box template can slide in between the nubs and lip as the vent will when installed on the hood. adjust the size of the hole on the template as needed. when finished it should look something like this:
checkfitoftemplate.jpg

now that tedious part is done we can move on to mocking up where you want the vents to go. for all the steps up to final installation, i am using a second set of vents that i have so that i will not mar the paint on the other ones. plus they were still drying from their final coat. the pair of vents i used on the working steps are white while the ones actually installed were painted with engine enamel (to help with heat resistance) gloss black. i dont know yet how the paint will hold up to the arizona sun. if it doesnt do to well then i will just respray the vents in hammered black.

lets move on to mocking the vents up- i am sure you probably did that when you got them too as i did. placement of the z34 vents is a little more critical than that of the lebaron vents to avoid hitting the hood supports. do not cut the supports as this could weaken the hood. to mock these up i just slid the lip of the vent in between the hood and the hood supports. this held them in place for determining the general area to put them in.

here is a general mock up on the underside of the hood.

underhoodmockup2.jpg

and closer up of the mock up

underhoodmockup1.jpg

and this is of just the vents without the drip pans. sorry that the edge of the vent is hard to see with the white on white

ventunderhood.jpg

ok, so now we know about where we want them. time to take some measurement of the hood. before doing this though, as you can see in the above pic, i have removed obstructions to make my job a lot easier without having to fight the hood latch cable and the hood light. i ended up wanting my cut line to be 1" out from the upper fold in the crease that runs the length of the hood. any much wider than that and i would end up cutting away parts of the hood supports. also to avoid the supports i put the vents cut line 4 3/4" forward from the back of the hood. in hindsight the 1" from the upper bend or crease was great but i could have moved the vents to be 4.5" or even 4 1/4" from the back of the hood and been ok. i ended up chewing away a small amount of the forward hood support, but not enough to weaken it much.

with those measurements in mind tape the underside of the hood. this will help keep from chipping as much paint away while cutting and provide for a cleaner cut.
tapeupunderside.jpg

and again with those same measurement in mind tape the top of the hood for the same reasons. it also gives you a better surface to trace the cut line onto.

i found it easier to work with the hood if i propped the front of it up with a couple pieces of 4x4s. it kept the hood from latching closed so that i wouldnt have to go an pop the hood each time i needed it up and also raised the hood up so that there would be less chance of cutting anything in the engine.

now take those measurements and put them on the hood. i measured 1" out from the top most crease in the center part of the hood but do not trace the line yet. now i measured and marked the 4.75" forward from the back of the hood. remember though that i found the 4.75" to be a bit too much. if anyone tries this based off my write up, please confirm with me what measurement worked for you. i made multiple marks to help aid in accuracy. draw that line. this is going to be how far back the rear corner of the vent will be.

aligning the template with both the line drawn on the rear portion and the marks on the center of the hood place your template. i tried to get mine as close as i could. if your off here, it would most likely be visible on the finished project. once satisfied with the placement of the template tape the template down like seen below. after all we dont want the template to shift positions on you while tracing it.

templateplacement.jpg

after both sides are traced you should have something like this:

traced.jpg

before starting to cut metal, i wanted to protect my engine both from the debris as protect hoses, lines, wires etc from the saw blade. so i put a moving blanket down over the engine and under the hood.

ok, ready to cut some sheet metal? i am!

but before we start we must select our tool. i had at my disposal a batt powered sawzall, scroll saw, and a 4.5" angle grinder. originally i was going to use the sawzall but the batteries were all dead. so i chose the scroll saw with a bi-metal blade. choosing a blade with a finer tooth count can help prevent distorting the hood as it will not be taking as large of a bite with each stroke. a blade that is too coarse will bite a larger amount and often will cause the saw to kick or distort the metal. if you use an angle grinder be sure to cover anywhere on the xj where you dont want burn marks from the sparks. this includes the rest of the hood, windshield (especially), and roof. the sparks will pit paint and glass. dont say i didnt warn you....

to get your blade to cut it must first pierce the metal. for this i used my drill with a 3/4" hole saw. as i said above i had planned on using my sawzall. so i made two holes overlapping so the opening would be large enough for the sawzall blade. after finding that all 3 of my batteries were dead, i switched gears and grabbed the skill saw. i am glad i did. it allowed me to do a cleaner job on the corners. but i would have liked a slightly straiter cut with a wider blade, but all worked out well

ok, so now we have the hood protected with blue painters tape, we got our measurements marked and pattern traced. now for the holes drilled inside the area that will be cut to allow the blade to pass and start the cut. WEAR PROPER EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Hasta i know) the vibration of the hood from the saw can cause some metal particles to "jump" around. i felt a couple hit my face but fortunately i had my safety glasses on.

corners.jpg

also visible in the pic is how i handled the corners with the saw. i cut way to the inside of the corner and then back tracked into the corner. from the point where the above pic was taken i then started from where i had deviated off the cut line and continued to meet the cut partially into the corners. this helped eliminate some bind on the blade.

i dont have pictures of me actually doing the cutting as i was the only one working on this project.

continue cutting until the vent opening is cut.

firstventcutout.jpg

then repeat for the other side. follow it up with deburring both openings with a file. i found that a half round bastard cut file works great for this. you may also want to add a little bit of a bevel to the cut or to round it off to keep the sharp edges down.

time for a test fit. a rubber mallet may come in handy to get the nubs set all the way in. if you still have to take off more, do so. again, the file worked great.

checkfitment.jpg

remove the tape, and re-mask off to paint the raw edge. this will help prevent rust. after all that admire the two gaping holes in your hood

cutout2.jpg

once the paint was dry on the edges i grabbed the actual vents i was installing. time to put them in. in case you havent figured it out yet: these vents attach by sandwiching the hood metal in between the nubs and lip. put this side in first. then carefully allow the vent to lower into the hole. i had a hard time getting one of the vents to sit flush because it was sitting a little too far forward and was hitting the louvers a little. a tap with the mallet sent the vent in the right direction. once it sits flush prop open your hood. on the underside of the vent opposite side from the nubs there are three raised female threaded studs. to secure this side i used the original bolts (7mm socket) and a stack of washers that went around the female stud. this helped to draw that side of the vent flush and secure. on one washer stack on each vent i had to cut a washer in half and use it as a shim on the outside edge of the vent (against the hood sheet metal) to compensate for the different thicknesses.

here is the vent viewed from under the hood.

initialfitup.jpg

some may be content with how they are now, but as stated before i want the drip pans. those are fairly easy to install but can be a major PITA. the drip pans have tabs that insert into the square eyes on the vents (on the center portion of the hood), and then go over two non threaded studs on the outside edge. there are some funky sheet metal toothed nut thingamajigs (total pos's) that go on there. i ended up loosing two of them some where in my engine so i only put the one on the rear portion on. then i secured the drip pan opening to the hood supports using self tapping screws. i used ones that have a metal washer with a rubber padding under that to help prevent the fastener from cutting into the plastic of the drip pan. you may have to trim some of the plastic around the hood support to get the drip pan to lay decently. a pair of tin snips makes it easy. i also had to cut the drip pan discharge short on the drivers side for the hood release cable. that should not effect performance.

reinstall anything you took off the hood to prevent from getting damaged and your good to go

finalunderhood.jpg

closeupfinalunderside.jpg

and some views of the top side

alldone2.jpg

alldone1.jpg

i think they look fantastic. i didnt really have a chance to try them out yet.

Man, those look good! You didn't even have to cut into the bracing did you?

Man, those look good! You didn't even have to cut into the bracing did you?

i cut just barely into it on the front corner. if i would have moved it back 1/4" to 1/2" i would have totally missed the braceing. the part that did get cut was just the edge that is closest to the hoods sheet metal and not the formed part so there was no compermise of the strenghth of the braceing.

i cut just barely into it on the front corner. if i would have moved it back 1/4" to 1/2" i would have totally missed the braceing. the part that did get cut was just the edge that is closest to the hoods sheet metal and not the formed part so there was no compermise of the strenghth of the braceing.

Nice! I'll keep those in mind for mine.

UPDATE: i just got done installing a set for another local guy.

making the rear most corner 4.75" from the back edge of the hood will cut into the hood support approximatly 1/4". i dont think its enough to weaken the hood any, just makes that front edge a little more difficult to cut. i believe if you make that back corner of the cut at 4.5 or even 4.25" should help to keep things in between the supports/braces.

also, cutting threads onto the studs for the drip pans is great. we did that on the second set and it made installing the drip pans very easy. i believe the die was a 1/4" die but i dont remember the thread. it cut very easy like aluminium.

i do not notice a "heat wave" from the vents with or without the drip pans with the engine running. i have a ford taurus electric fan and i could feel it pushing air out the vents with the pans off (took them off for cutting threads on the stubs and did not have the propper sized fasteners off hand). once the fan shut off i could see heat radiating out of the vents. the vents were also very hot to the touch.

Good stuff. I have to figure out a way t put some sort of drip pan under my LeBaron vents, I'm pretty sure they're the reason my TPS keeps dying...

I like them alot.... any reason why you didn't keep them white?

the ones that i installed were originally red. i had spray bombed them black with engine enamel but still needed one more coat. i finally got off my rear and decided to install them. i put the last coat on the vents and then went to cutting on my hood while they dried. i had an extra pair (the white ones) because someone asked me to pick him up a set. since i had them on hand, i used them for fit up so that i would not damage the paint on the black ones for initial fit up.

the white ones look like they have been resprayed once already and they were slightly off from my white color. most of the parts that i put on my rig get painted black- be it engine enamel, satin black or hammered black. i thought that i would keep with that trend

Ok I was just wondering, I have a white cherokee too, and i think if the white would have matched that would have looked niiice.

the trim of my xj is (mostly) black- front end, flares, front bumper, mirrors, tire carrier, by the rockers, etc. i think it ties in quite nicely.

My trim is all black too.... its doesn't look bad, I was just wondering. I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for a set of these.

UPDATE again:

Tonight I helped install another set (third thus far for me) and it went even easier than before. In the prior two installs, I ended up just barely getting into the hood support with the forward most part of the cut. This time I made the tail edge of the cut be 4.5" (instead of the prior 4.75") forward from the back of the hood. I didnt get into the support piece at all (maybe an eighth of an inch to spare). The pass side drip pan only needs minimal trimming- heck it could even be done with just a file its that minimal. The drivers side still may need a bit of trimming to the drain opening to avoid conflicting with the clip for the hood release cable.

If your wanting to move it back further, it looks like you could go back another quarter inch as well before getting into the rear support. that would make the back corner of the vent 4.25" forward from the back of the hood.

what are you using to cut with? I will probably use my dremel when i find some hood vents. Those little reinforced discs are great for cutting stuff!

what are you using to cut with? I will probably use my dremel when i find some hood vents. Those little reinforced discs are great for cutting stuff!

sorry for the untimely response- i havent been keeping up on this thread. i was using a scroll saw to make the cuts. a fine toothed blade helps to avoid catching the metal and making dents in it. the blade i used the first time (on my rig) was too coarse and damaged the metal when the blade had bound up. its only noticeable when looking closely.

i had first tried to use a dremel cut off wheel when i trimmed my fenders. it was much too slow for my liking. it can be done with that and a whole lot of patience, just be sure to take the same precautions as you would using an angle grinder

if you use a scroll saw or a sawzall, put down two or three layers of masking tape around the outside of the cut. that will help prevent metal pieces from damaging your paint.

thanks for the reply, ive been searching the pick & pull yards for the rite vents, the z 34 are nice i also like the datsun 280z aswell, hit me up if ya see any extra louvers! TJ

Back