• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing a ball joint replacement tomorrow, any words from the wise?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the upper and lower ball joints on my '87 XJ. I've already taken apart everything up to the ball joints and the steering knuckle itself, so most of that should be fairly easy to loosen up. Any words of advice for this project? Words of advice would include anything I'll need other than the ball joints themselves, specialty tools, etc. Basically, will I need anything besides a fairly conventional automotive toolset (ratchets, flat wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)? I already know I need a press.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the right uppers for your application! Some come long and tapered and some come short. I am not sure which ones are for your application. I had Stang5lgt help me out it should only take about an hour to an hour and a half from where you are! Also Air is your best friend!

Make sure you have the right uppers for your application! Some come long and tapered and some come short. I am not sure which ones are for your application. I had Stang5lgt help me out it should only take about an hour to an hour and a half from where you are! Also Air is your best friend!
Unfortunately I don't have any air tools... I wish I did.
Do I need a ball joint spanner wrench?

You don't need air tools. You'll need a ball joint press, and it's nice to have the angled adapter, but not necessary. I did mine twice without the it.

A sledge hammer works very well for getting the knuckle off. 2 or 3 taps and mine came right off.

You don't need air tools. You'll need a ball joint press, and it's nice to have the angled adapter, but not necessary. I did mine twice without the it.

A sledge hammer works very well for getting the knuckle off. 2 or 3 taps and mine came right off.
I have one. How about a ball joint spanner wrench? Any need?

I wasn't implying that he needed air tools but they are a nice thing to have.

And just a ball joint press will be fine!

The ball joint press has been cumbersome...but it does its job.

A word of advice on this project: Being able to disconnect your swaybar and be able to raise/lower the axle to fit the press in is really nice.

What is the angle adapter that was mentioned earlier? I'm guessing its needed for the lowers...

Correct. It's a notched sleeve that allows you to bear down on the knuckle to get the lower ball joint either in or out - I don't recall which. You can make one out of a large pipe coupling (use iron) and a cut-off wheel in a pinch, I probably have the measurements around here somewhere.

I find it handy to have a propane torch close by - it can help to release the old ball joints. Paint the case of the new joints with never-seez before you put them in - it makes them easier to press in, and easier to remove next time.

Also, paint the tapered part of the stud with never-seez before you put the knuckles back on - for the latter reason. The same also applies to tie rod ends (since you may not have everything handy the next time you've got to pull one of these...)

no special tools needed...especially with the dana 30. id say being unit bearing its only a 2-3 hour job max. My 44 on the other hand is a real PITA.

ive rented a ball joint press one time to do mine, and actually didn't even like using it. if youve got a bench top vice press thats the easiest way. throw the knuckle in it, tighten it down, pound the old ones out, hit the new ones in (on the caps, not the stud) and your good to go

You don't want to tighten down the press so you can barely move it anymore. What I do is apply a fair amount of pressure with the press and then grab a nice sledge and start hitting the tip of the inner c. Doing that assists in relieving all of the bound up pressure. Be careful you don't bend the press (it'll happen with a very bound up ball joint and too much pressure being applied to the press). Be calm and take your time and it'll go smoothly. Good Luck.

Back