• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a I6 4.0L HO engine.

Miata2k

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Jeep XJ that needs a new engine. The old engine and automatic transmissions were removed and I was given what was left.

I can buy any engine for $175 and a transmission for $65 (plus a core charges) from my local pull-a-part.

I was just going to replace to the I6 with the same engine, but I wasn't sure if they were all the same. I thought I'd just look for the one with the most parts still installed and least amount of oil on the outside. But then I started thinking that there may be more to this game.

I know that anything older than 91 is a RENIX engine and that it uses a different computer. So to save money I guess I should avoid this engine.

I'm guessing I could buy any 91 or newer I6 engine from another XJ?
How about from a ZJ? Was the I6 used in any other products, not a jeep?

Are there other things to look for when buying a used I6? I know the Storoker builders like a certian block casting. I also heard that some had a plastic valve cover and that should be avoided.

I'd also like to replace the automatic transmission with an AX15, but can I do that without changing out the computer? I'm guessing that finding the bell housing for the AX15 to the I6 should be easy, but are there different shaft sizes, splines, or other things to worry about?

My local pull a part is a mess and there is not much care taken for part removal. Is this the same for all of the part yards out there? I may have a hard time finding a complete engine, so the engine swap may not happen in the near future. So I welcome any input on engine shopping.

Thanks,
-C

IMG_4115.JPG

that looks like a decent yard actually- at least they put the vehicles up on wheels so you can get under there, and there is gravel. I would still bring a couple jack stands though just to be safe.

I have 7-8 xjs at the salvage yard I manage- I can get you a complete 4.0 all day long but I am in northwest Indiana.

I went and looked at the XJ's yesterday and they all seem to be missing the injectors!?!?! Is there are reason that someone would just strip all of the injectors from about 15 XJ?

I did see one engine almost complete but it was in a ZJ.

I have a ZJ that was on fire, the cab and most of the body was destroyed but the transmission and transfer case were still good. Is there a way to mate the I6 to the 46RE transmission? I guess I would still need the computer to run that transmission.

-C

The two-piece injectors used on quite a few XJs tend to leak where the plastic and metal body is joined. Those injectors really are nothing but Cherokee Fire Starters. My guess is that customers have been pulling the injectors to replace their leakers. Better idea is the Ford orange-top 19# injectors with the 4-hole pintal. Cheaper, one-piece body, better spray pattern.

Back