• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question About U-Joints

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
In my defense -- I searched this sight and googled how to change these. I have found dozens of very helpful insights.

However, I have a small, very simple (but frustrating) issue with all of these posts and howtos: Everyone seems to be changing U-Joints on a bench.

This is a problem because I want to remove the u-joint directly aft of my transfer case. I noticed that on some yokes the u-joints are attached by two straps that can be undone by 4 small bolts so that one side can be disconnected and the ujoint can be relocated to a bench for removal from the other yoke. That is fine and good and I get that. However, directly aft of the transfer case, both yokes are solid. There are no straps. So -- do I have press this u-joint out while it is still attached under the jeep using a u-joint press? I believe there is enough room for this, but I am not sure. What am I missing?

You have to remove the complete driveshaft from the peep. Pull the axle end first obviosly. Good luck. :thumbup:

What am I missing?

x2 on removing the whole drive shaft.

once you take off the u-joint straps on the axle end of the driveshaft, you lower that end and pull the driveshaft(yoke) out of the transfercase.

what year depends on whether some transfercase fluid will come out of the transfercase tailcone. if you get some fluid coming out it will only drip a little out.

Are you talking about the front drive shaft or the rear one?

They are all 1310's.

Back