• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i searched and searched, now im looking for opinions.

97VAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to make myself a bastard pack. I just got married so money is tighter than tight. I found some leafs off of a 95 Dakota and got them super cheap. Im getting some new shocks, front coils and the rest off the little knick-knacks(brake lines, nuts and bolts, etc.) but before i go ripping the Jeep apart im looking for some insight.

How would you mix and match the leafs? Of course I will be using the XJ main, then the Dak main, then im kinda playing the guessing game. Should i use all of the leafs from both packs? Should i use the XJ overload or the Dak overload?

I'm looking to net around 3.5 inches. In the front I'm gonna get the RE 3.5 coils so I would like to make it as close to level as possible.

So, I know that the only CERTAIN way to be 100% sure of what you are going to net is trial and error but i am just looking for numbers that some people have got from doing other bastard lifts with Dak or S10 packs.

Thanks for any and all advice and opinions.

i use all leves from the dokota and cherokee minus dokota overload . i got about 4.5 " of lift . fyi it is stiff . but it rids aswome with a full load in the back . not a lot of upwars flex . but it works for the cheep .

whats up with everyone being on the search tangent ? yes the info is out there, hes just looking for what worked for others . lighten up a little .

Try using all the dakota springs except the overload with your xj main leaf that worked for me and was good for about 3 plus inches just remember to go bigger than you want at first it will sag a fair bit in a few months once it all settles

Ive ran a bunch of combos of s10 & jeep. Personally i think the best lift is to run the jeep main leaf with all main leafts (cut at different lengths) from dakota and s10 below it & the jeep short leaf at the bottom. However collecting 3 sets of leafs is not ideal. I would just keep your main leaf supported well and the lower leafs in the dakota pack will have a heck of alot more arch & the over load is a joke. Depending on the exact combo you should get 3-5 inches of lift depending on how many leaves you use.

i use all leves from the dokota and cherokee minus dokota overload . i got about 4.5 " of lift . fyi it is stiff . but it rids aswome with a full load in the back . not a lot of upwars flex . but it works for the cheep .

whats up with everyone being on the search tangent ? yes the info is out there, hes just looking for what worked for others . lighten up a little .
Because in the searches, you will find what worked for everyone else. A thread that was posted previously isn't going to contain any better or worse info in it than reposting the same question. Search, read what worked before and if there are further questions, post in said thread. :)

i have read and reread the $11 bastard pack post. i was just looking for solid numbers that have ACTUAL results, not some..."well you can do this and this and get between 2 and 30 inches of lift."

I was just looking for someone who had done a bastard lift and seeing what combos and placement of springs they used.

I'm not one who posts alot, i read more than anything, thats why i posted this up...After im done i'll post what i did up then i can tell people just to look at what i did. YAY!!!!!

I got 4" with this combo

RE 3.5 Coils in front

Bastard Pack Rear
XJ main
S10 Main
S10 2nd
S10 3rd
XJ overload (shortest spring)

Just do it. Worst thing that can happen is you have to take it apart again to add or remove a leaf spring.

i have read and reread the $11 bastard pack post. i was just looking for solid numbers that have ACTUAL results, not some..."well you can do this and this and get between 2 and 30 inches of lift."

I was just looking for someone who had done a bastard lift and seeing what combos and placement of springs they used.

I'm not one who posts alot, i read more than anything, thats why i posted this up...After im done i'll post what i did up then i can tell people just to look at what i did. YAY!!!!!
Best of luck on the build. Keep in mind that depending on the condition of the vehicle you get the springs from, you may still have to experiment some to achieve your desired lift. :)

I did the bastard pack with a friend. We put all the dakota and xj leafs in first to see where she sat. It was around 5" of lift. So we ended up pulling all but the second dakota leaf with all the xj leafs and got a great match to a bb spacer. His rear pack was toast though and very saggy. if you use the main leaf for the dakota pack alone you get about 3" to 4" depending on how bad your pack is. HTH.

Back