• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed cooling will not take any coolant

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my lower rad hose and redid the upper tubing and tee's on my 1990's closed cooling system. I can't get the system to take any coolant, when I fill the overlow bottle it doesn't drain down into the radiator, it just stays in the overflow bottle.
What's going on?

Last edited:
sorry for post on ya thread! just need some help i have a 88 xj i think its a closed coolant system too. I want to change my lower radiator hose but the new one i brought doesnt have spring? does yours? is it needed?

can i make it a open coolant system?

With the closed system, it is good to take off the upper hose at the radiator and get it full. Good to do with heater hose too. Then some people pull the rear temp sensor and keep filling the radiator hose until the air is bled out of there. You can convert to open, but the hot set-up for the closed is to add an Intrepid overflow bottle. Many new vehicles from Europe still use the closed system like the Mercedes M-Class SUVs.

With the closed system, it is good to take off the upper hose at the radiator and get it full. Good to do with heater hose too. Then some people pull the rear temp sensor and keep filling the radiator hose until the air is bled out of there. You can convert to open, but the hot set-up for the closed is to add an Intrepid overflow bottle. Many new vehicles from Europe still use the closed system like the Mercedes M-Class SUVs.

I hope I don't have to go to all that hassle, I've never had to do any of that when servicing the closed system. I got it to take around 8 liters of coolant before I got lured to the porch and cold beer. See how it goes tommorow.

Back