• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

internal slave recomendation

nc-hellbilly

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have an 88 cherokee and have been having problems with aftermarket slave cylinders. the last one i installed only lasted 4 days before puking its guts all over the ground. my question is if my only option for slave survival is going with an oem jeep unit. ive also read something about having to use synthetic fluid? im really tired of pulling my trans out to replace this so hopefully you guys can help me with this.

NO synthetic fluid! Dot 5 fluid will not mix with what you have.

Dot 3, Dot 4, and now Dot 5.1 can be used, they are not synthetic and are compatible.

Personally I would go only with HQ parts in blood,sweat, and tears situations. Doesn't have to be OEM from the dealership but HQ parts.

First, go with NEW parts, not reman, in BS&T situations. I would pay extra for ACDelco over AA/AZ/Schucks stuff.

Just look for names you recognize.

Personally, I have used NAPA products for years, and prefer them to most of the other chains. Is the NAPA unit new or re-manufactured? I would go with new if at all possible.

$20 is not a whole lot for a little extra peace of mind.

Hopefully the cut and paste show up. AC Delco slave from Rock Auto for $136. Google "Rock Auto discount code" for numbers to save 5%.

ACDELCO Part # 386368
MoreInfo.gif
{#19183243}
CYLINDER,CLU SLV [US vehicles]; SLAVE CYLINDER IS INCLUDED WITH RELEASE BEARING; W/BA10/5 PEUGEOT TRANS* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
getimage.php

$135.79

Convert it to an external with a new bell housing, that way if it goes again you won't get anymore hernias.

i was looking into swapping to external. from my understanding i would also have to swap to the ax15 trans as well? and does anyone have any experience with the LUK brand of clutches and slaves? i was recommended that by a local jeep shop.

I believe that Luk was the OEM supplier. Shouldn't be any problem there. And you'd be much better off with an AX15 compared to the Peugeot BA10/5 transmission.

one last question before i make my decision on what to order tomorrow evening. i have also found an exedy oem replacement clutch kit. im coming from the honda world and for us it is a quality clutch kit whether it be the oem, stg1/2/3 kits. so in my eyes this should be a good kit. any experiences?

If you go with the AX 15 then it must be one of the later models for an external slave setup. The early years AX also used an internal slave.
I would just get it all from one XJ. You will also need houses. I would grab the master just be on the safe side to.

Back