• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 and 37"iroks will work

I blew up a 4.88 ring gear with stock shafts (760s with full circle clips). The stock carrier is weak as hell.

With a fullcase locker I'm sure mine would have survived.

that xj is a friggin beast!

Maybe your gears werent properly intalled, becaue those shafts should have gone first

Maybe your brain wasn't properly installed. I didn't realize you knew everything.

The gears were setup properly and well within spec. My guy even left the pattern on for me to check. He's done numerous other setups for countless people.

The combination of 4.88s (less contact between R&P) and the weak strength of the stock carrier allowed the gears to deflect and break under load. It was a toss up between the shafts (with full circle clips and 760s) or the gears.

Maybe your gears werent properly intalled, becaue those shafts should have gone first

the gears were perfectly installed. the stock carrier flexed all outta shape causing the ring gear failure in the first place. the was no case deflection, so the next weakest point, the stock carrier, tried to compensate for the flex and binding. it failed horribly

Maybe your brain wasn't properly installed. I didn't realize you knew everything.

The gears were setup properly and well within spec. My guy even left the pattern on for me to check. He's done numerous other setups for countless people.

The combination of 4.88s (less contact between R&P) and the weak strength of the stock carrier allowed the gears to deflect and break under load. It was a toss up between the shafts (with full circle clips and 760s) or the gears.
X2.
4.88s in a D30 is really asking a bit when you really drive on them with large tires. The pinion with that ratio is tiny and that just causes what MoparManic referred to, very small contact. Small contact = higher point stress = boom breakage if you actually wheel like he does.

colin's gears were installed by probably the most capable off-road shop within reasonable driving distance. he's wheeled them for quite a while with a lot of success. it's really no surprise that something like this happened. he was on rather rough terrrain, though not flexing incredibly, that required a decent amount of skinny pedal and he's on 35s and had a locker in the stock carrier too. and no truss on the axle. the good diff cover will help, but the truss will help even more. there's not much you can do when you push anything to its limits. stuff breaks when you wheel.

while the 30 can be made to be beaten respectably, it's really not THAT strong. cool vids, though

OH MY GOSH, where to begin?

Now, you are probably right, you know a lot about breaking shafts. You even know the definition of an Emergency. I wonder if Colin is too picky to have "rusty" shafts in his?

Edit: I was going to add more, but its just not worth it.

Wait hold the phone, the TJ44s are Low pinion???? Damn

Last edited:
so another word... it's doable
Anything is doable.
It is and has been done and probably will continue to be. Is it the smartest thing? Probably not. Will it hold up? For some people on some terrain.
At this point really it is beating the same old dead topic, it has become a matter of personal opinion rather than the tech that it should be.
Like the old saying goes; "to each his own."

i think the LP's have more contact per given ratio than the HP. that could be part of their "luck" to survival. but really, i'm afraid of breaking anything and everything on my HP30 on 34s too. i'm seriously considering tubing (well, clamshelling) it because i want to minimize housing flex and carrier flex.

that hill is sand too. it's not like it's putting up that much resistance to tire spin. i'll bet he has poop for braking and wears out unit bearings like no one's business

Back