• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Balancer by Centramatic

So far they work really well. I've been running them on my superduty for 2 years, and my cherokee for 4 years.
I like them because I can still have my tires balanced and rotated at discount tire without any issue.
They work the same as using airsoft bb's, but without the hassle.
On both my rigs they eliminated drivetrain vibrations not associated with the tires.
I can run 80-85 all day on 33's and it rides as smooth as a sports car.
The price turns people away, but I really enjoy having them.

From the website:
http://www.centramatic.com/howworks.html

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can, you don't even notice them behind the wheel.

So far they work really well. I've been running them on my superduty for 2 years, and my cherokee for 4 years.
I like them because I can still have my tires balanced and rotated at discount tire without any issue.
They work the same as using airsoft bb's, but without the hassle.
On both my rigs they eliminated drivetrain vibrations not associated with the tires.
I can run 80-85 all day on 33's and it rides as smooth as a sports car.
The price turns people away, but I really enjoy having them.

From the website:
http://www.centramatic.com/howworks.html

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can, you don't even notice them behind the wheel.

Thats badass man. You now have me interested in getting a set. :laugh3: BTW thats 200 per pair right?

Last edited:
Thats badass man. You now have me interested in getting a set. :laugh3:
If you were closer, I'd let you borrow them for a week. :D
The only wierd thing is they "spin out" at around 15-20 mph.
If your windows are down in the parking lot, it sounds like somebody's under your rig you shaking a pair of maracas.

edit:
That price should be for all 4.

Last edited:
If you were closer, I'd let you borrow them for a week. :D
The only wierd thing is they "spin out" at around 15-20 mph.
If your windows are down in the parking lot, it sound like somebody's under your rig you shaking a pair of maracas.

LOL. Maybe there is... :helpme:

yeah its 199 for all four. humm... now i just have to think if if is really worth it to me to not to have to mess with the BBs when i get my new tires. whats the caliper clearence like?

i use them on my big rigs, always have and always will.
worth every penny when you consider the price of michelin high torque tires on a semi! they smooth the ride and help tires last longer.
as to me having them on my heeps, nope. just because i didnt know they made them for cars/jeeps etc.

martin

looks cool, but holy expensive, batman. i'll take my airsoft, thanks.

I ran a set (borrowed) for a couple weeks, but they had some serious fitment issues on the 15" steelies I ran in those days.

Having run both, airsoft is cheaper, less hassle, and IMO works better (its more spread out across the span of the wheel).

(its more spread out across the span of the wheel).
i thought of that too. any tire that's wide with respect to its height won't want to balance with a balancing mechanism on only one side... like this thingamijigwhatsit.

Not really, the ones I had were 'offset' (the balancing ring was about 1" in board of the wheel mounting surface) which with the offset of my wheels was already about 1" out the other way, setting them just over 2" from center.

The point was more though that they only balance on a .250" plane of the wheel, and not all 12" wide of it. Airsoft will spread out over the full width of the wheel.

my local tire store suggested for my 37's to balance on the inside as best as possible but they can take all the weights off and they have some internal beads like airsoft bb's that come in a little bag that they use for 18 wheeler wheels and such... they run on the same principle as the airsoft bb's but they are smaller... i might try those out and they are much cheaper than the centramatic balancers (which are a cool idea by the way).

cal said:
The point was more though that they only balance on a .250" plane of the wheel, and not all 12" wide of it. Airsoft will spread out over the full width of the wheel.
Ah, I see.

aparke4 said:
they run on the same principle as the airsoft bb's but they are smaller
Ya, I think those little ones are meant to go through the valve stem; after you remove the valve core. Easier than having to break the bead if you're adding them to already mounted tires.

I recently bought a 3/4 ton dodge for a tow rig that the PO used Centrimatic balancers. I first drove the truck with the Centrimatics and the ride was smooth as glass. The PO wanted to keep them so they were removed and I drove the truck without them and it vibrated like crazy. When I had the wheels/tires balanced one wheel needed 14oz of weight and it still does not ride as smooth as it did with the Centrimatics. I plan on buying a set shortly.

jim

I recently bought a 3/4 ton dodge for a tow rig that the PO used Centrimatic balancers. I first drove the truck with the Centrimatics and the ride was smooth as glass. The PO wanted to keep them so they were removed and I drove the truck without them and it vibrated like crazy. When I had the wheels/tires balanced one wheel needed 14oz of weight and it still does not ride as smooth as it did with the Centrimatics. I plan on buying a set shortly.

jim

Pop the bead on each tire, drop ~10 ounces of airsoft into each one (one tube of 1000 .20g should be close to 9 oz and work) and then refill the tire.

$25 out the door and works as good or better. :)

When I had the wheels/tires balanced one wheel needed 14oz of weight and it still does not ride as smooth as it did with the Centrimatics.

jim

If the balancer is calling for that much weight, you need to 180 the tire.
Every tire and every wheel has a heavy side. Sometimes they end up on the same side causing the wheel to need a lot of weight to balance.
If you break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees from the rim, you'll put the heavy sides opposite from each other.
If you ask the tire store to do that and they dont know what you're talking about, get a new tire store.
I worked at discount tire when I was in high school and if a wheel required more the 9 oz, it was standard practice to "180" it to fix the problem.

Back