• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent surging 96

nickparmele

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys heres the deal i need help i have no idea what to do i have changed the air intake temp sensor the tps and i have 52 psi at fuel rail while idleing and over 100 psi compression in each cyl jeep runs fine idles fine but every once and a while i will step on the gas and it will fall on its face and buck and surge like crazy but if i can get it to go it will wind right out i just dont know what to test any more

look around here for CPS (crank position sensor)... I would post it in here, but it might be easier for you to search for it.
Sounds like that might be worth looking at.

Pretty tough to diagnose when problem is that intermittant, but if it seems to correspond to stepping on the pedal, you can test the TPS for flat spots with a analog voltmeter. Watch for the needle to bounce instead of smooth transition.

ihave had three different crank position sensors in it and they all have the problem and the tps is new and tested good any other suggestions

does it back fire at all? does it spit and sput for a long time after? or does it fall and then pick back up full bore?

anything else go out when it shuts down? lights working. radio ... etc the whole time..
when was the last time you changed the coil wire?
How are your battery cables.
how is your engine ground?
how is your catalytic converter?
02 sensors all connected? is the wire bare and grounding out? (i had one rub on the drive shaft and cut the motor similar to your description)

it falls aspits and spudders but if i can get it to wind out its fine it goes like crazy i checked the code today it comes back as random multiple misfires

nothing else happens when it does it no lights or any thing and it is getting worse today it accually stalled completly but once you get the thing going for a while it doesnt do it anymore just about a min or two after start

coil.
coil wire
coil ground
coil power.
that's where I would start. maybe not in that order.
how long since you changed the cap and rotor and wires and plugs.

Back