• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Return Line Quick Disconnect

MNgopher

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of replacing the transmission return line on my '88 XJ with the 4.0 and AW4. The replacement line has the updated quick disconnect with the metal tabs in the fitting that you need the tool to remove.

My question is: Are O rings still required in the fitting? The old fitting used the little kit from the dealer that has the two O rings, spacer and new clip. The new line did not come with any new O rings and no information if they are required (Dorman brand, if anyone cares).

I've got O-rings that will fit and work with tranny fluid. If they are required, any tips on how to get them in there?

Ended up answering my own question. The Dorman line already had the spacer, O ring, Spacer, and O Ring in the fitting. Too bad they didn't work well with the radiator fitting elbow (not good clearance between the fitting and the body and damn near impossible to get connected up right.

I ended up pulling the metal fitting tabs out of the quick disconnect, and setting it up with the quick disconnect plastic fitting and O-Rings. Went back together like a charm. We'll see if its tight now. If not, we cut it and clamp it.

Back