• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting the XJ Desert Tan

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I've decided that Desert Tan is more suited to the desert than flat black. Last time I didn't do any prep work, just grabbed some black spray paint and went at it. This time I plan on sanding and priming. My roof is rough, it's caught a few tree branches and dinged it up god, so I may have to go to bare metal. I did buy a few cans of sandable primer last time I was at AutoZone and one can of filling primer. They didn't have the color I want for paint so I don't have that yet. I'm having a hard time deciding on what to paint the bumpers and sliders though. I've thought about getting some dirt brown for the bumpers, sliders, and lower body panels. I've also thought about some black undercoating spray for the front bumper and sliders with tan on the rear bumper. Any ideas? I've got black steel wheels with the D-holes. I also am contemplating taking the time to get a couple new pieces for the fascia to fix my busted turn signal and be able to screw them on instead of gluing them with silicone (the holes are stripped...)

Tan will look great. Try getting a drawing of an XJ and play with your paint program to work on your color scheme. 'Might want to consider monochrome.(bumpers/sliders/etc body color.) i helped with a CJ project where we did that(in tan, too!) all except the wheels(polished aluminum) It turned out pretty sweet.

You're really going to be surprised how much cooler it will be inside when you go to the lighter color!

I think Desert Tan with hammered black on the bumpers and sliders would look good. What kind of undercoating were u thinking of using on the bumpers?

I tried using 3M undercoating on my bumper and it faded to light grey in about a month...It has ZERO UV protection. I just stripped off all the undercoating and started over. Its now Hammered black and looks really good.

I'll probably go with the Hammered Black, I used it to repaint a porch table and liked how it came out. I just did my diff covers in Hammered Graphite, also came it real nice.

Will do. :D 130* summers made up my mind, but I'd imagine you don't have to worry about that much...

I painted the lower section of my 96 Country with the Fusion desert tan camo paint to cover up the fugly gold paint that was on there from the factory. It went on good and stands up to continuous pressure washings after wheeling trips.

I wanted to paint the whole XJ but the wife caught me masking it off and said NO WAY!

1-09-6.jpg

Yep, that's the color I'm looking at, an ultra flat tan that blends with the sand around my house.

Desert Tan looks sweet on an XJ.
I've been following your project and that's what's caused me to decide to go for it, and also to do it right. I don't think I'll get quite as in depth, but I do plan on actually doing prep work, pulling off trim pieces here and there (most notably the door sill kick panels).

I'm painting mine desert tan...need to order the paint this week and hopefully will have it on within a month or so. I'll post pics when it gets done if you still haven't done yours yet.

Mine will likely just be Krylon Ultra Flat spray paint, but with more care than I gave my last rattlecan paint job...:) Hopefully I'll get it done this month, but who knows with everything else I got going with this thing.

painted mine with Krylon desert tan. looks great. went right over my door handles and everything. kept the bumbers and flares black.

do it.

Do you guys have any problems with chalking? The krylon is just about the flattest stuff I've seen, but seems like after some sun and moisture it might fade?

My driver's side front fender is faded at least 5-10 yrs worse than the rest of the Jeep for some reason. Painted everything with Rustoleum satin black at the same time.

I washed my Jeep over the weekend, now I just have to find the paint. AutoZone here in town has been out of the tan for a few weeks now.

Back