• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 Bulb Life ?

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Do H4 Bulbs normally last very little ?

I have gone through already two sets from Rally Lights in less than 2 yrs. First i had the Hella performance bulbs then i had the osram bulbs and for some reason they burn quickly. I have them wired too a harness and the voltages seem proper.

Any advice ? Whats their normal life ? 6 months, 12months..?

Thanks
Pete

Depends on the housing. If the get too hot then poof. Did you touch the glass? If you did it created a hot spot on the glass from the oils in your skin. Just use rubbing alcohol to clean them before putting them in. Mine last about 2 years. Mind you I live in the middle of nowhere down some serious back roads, so they get used quite often. Just an idea may be to get a cheap hour meter and see how many hours you are getting out of them. Do you have a relay hooked up to them?

Sorry for being all over the map there, a litttle wired up today and typing is not as fast as the mind was coming up with the info lol.

I've had IPF fatboys in my heep for almost 5 years with no problems. They seem to be expensive until you factor in never having to worry about the bulbs. Of course now that I said that the bulbs with probably blow out on me.

I've had IPF fatboys in my heep for almost 5 years with no problems. They seem to be expensive until you factor in never having to worry about the bulbs. Of course now that I said that the bulbs with probably blow out on me.

x2 I've had PIAA Extreme White Plus H4s for almost 5 years, and I manually run my headlights every time I get in my Jeep (daily driver).

Bulb life is highly hinged on the wattage of the bulb. Closer to stock wattage, and the bulb will last longer, and conversely the higher the wattage, the lower the bulb life. Most quality lighting suppliers will point this out....

I run 100/80 watt H4's and I'll get about 1 - 2 years of life out of them. It's a trade off I happily live with, since I get much brigther lighting in return.

Hmm, I've had my Hella 60/55's for 8 years. The 100/55's in my Jetta have been running for 8 years also. Although in my Jetta, I rarely use the high beams because I'm running the factory wiring harness. I'm guessing that you or someone else touched the bulb with your bare hand.

Several factors to consider. The designed current for an average H4 is 12.8V. Much more than that will significantly reduce life. If you've upgraded your healight harness, you're difenitley putting more than 12.8V to the bulb. Check the current at the bulb and see where you're at. Also, the higher the wattage (on average) the shorter the life. Heat is also a killer. If you're housings are not vented properly, heat will build up and the bulb life will suffer. Might check that you're housings are mounted right side up. I've seen where they are installed upside down......I don't see how anyone could NOT realize that they had done that.....but it's easy enought to verify.

I ran some Silverstar lamps in my XJ and loved them. However, I couldn't get anymore than about 7-8 months out of them. I run an upgraded headlamp harness and get signifcatly more than 12.8V at the bulb. So, I went with some LL (long life) lamps and they've been working ever since.

Something else to think about for those of you running high wattage bulbs. The housings that you're putting these high wattage bulbs into are likely not rated for that kind of bulb. You could....could, end up with some junk housings. Especially if you've got some cheapie housings. You run the risk of the metalizing (shiney suff on the inside) outgassing and then you'll end up with some rainbow colored housings. They may even get a smoke tint to them on the inside. The housings may also become brittle and fall apart or warp....... Not to mention fire. That'd be extreme but it is possible. I've seen just about every failure mode you can imagine in all forms of severity.

For those that don't know: I am employed by an OEM lighting manufacturer. I work in the QA lab and test this stuff on a daily basis.

I pulled the invoice and the bulbs lasted 9 months.

I'm not sure how that ranks up there, but that seems pretty short given that most ppl say they get 1-2 yrs out of them. The bulbs were the Osram Hyper 100/80 bulbs.

I am running a upgr harness too. Anyone has any suggestions to get them to last longer ? What about buls, suggestions in the same price range ?

Thanks
Pete

Just talk to Tony (tcm_glx) at BajaHIDs.com and get some HIDs to swap in instead of the H4s. :D

hate to do it, but im gonna agree w/ darky..

once youve gone thru 2 sets of bulbs... you couldve just gone HID for the same price...

i also have a theory about chinese anarchists touching our bulbs for kicks... those scumbags...

rally lights has a bunch of stuff... but they aint got HID...

Back