• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing new engine and need help.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I just yanked the cracked 4.0 out of my 2000. I am currently dropping in a reman engine. While I was extracting the engine the torque converter came out with the engine. The manual stated to make sure the torque converter stayed with the transmission. How big of a problem is this? The manual also stated for me to mark the driveplate and torque converter with a white line of paint to make sure I line them up with the install. I somehow didn't read that part until it was too late. Why is it so important to make sure the driveplate and torque converter are lined up exactly how they were before? I am putting in a completely diffenrent engine, so that just doesn't make any sense. Also should I mount the torque converter to the back of the engine before I drop it in our should I place it into the tranny and bolt it in once the engine is in? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first engine swap and I really do not want to screw this up.

Last edited:
Keeping the torque converter with the transmission keeps you from having to fight that SOB back onto the transmission. Make sure you get it fully seated or you will damage it or the transmission during reassembly.

You are right, changing engine the engine what difference could it make? None.

Keeping the torque converter with the transmission keeps you from having to fight that SOB back onto the transmission. Make sure you get it fully seated or you will damage it or the transmission during reassembly.

You are right, changing engine the engine what difference could it make? None.

How do you know if it is fully seated? Right now it just spins freely. Is it suppose to do that?

My favorite way of doing it is with the transmission output shaft down in an old 30-gallon grease drum (cleaned, of course) and then lower the tc onto the shaft, then move it around until it "clunks" into position.

It should engage the pump in the front of the transmission.

My favorite way of doing it is with the transmission output shaft down in an old 30-gallon grease drum (cleaned, of course) and then lower the tc onto the shaft, then move it around until it "clunks" into position.

It should engage the pump in the front of the transmission.

So the fact that the torque converter is spinning freely is a bad thing? It sounds like you are saying that it should engage into something that will prevent it from spnning.

So the fact that the torque converter is spinning freely is a bad thing? It sounds like you are saying that it should engage into something that will prevent it from spnning.

It will still turn, but when fully seated it will be turning the pump, and you should be able to feel the difference.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go out into the garage right now and see if I can't get the TC fully engaged. I'll let you guys know what happened in a little bit.

Back