• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please give input on the 'zip tie' shift mod....

It's a lot easier to simply adjust the linkage properly. Putting in a zip-tie as a spacer makes sense if you run out of room on the adjuster, such as if the cable is stretched. When I did my AW4 swap, I used a crimp-on fishing bb type weight instead of a zip tie as the adjuster was fully compressed and putting the spacer in got it more centered when properly adjusted.

lawsoncl said:
It's a lot easier to simply adjust the linkage properly. Putting in a zip-tie as a spacer makes sense if you run out of room on the adjuster, such as if the cable is stretched. When I did my AW4 swap, I used a crimp-on fishing bb type weight instead of a zip tie as the adjuster was fully compressed and putting the spacer in got it more centered when properly adjusted.

they aren't talking about fixing anything.... they are refering to it as a mod to increase line pressure for firmer shifts....

I would not say it made it wear out any quicker. But if your cable is already asjusted to full travel at WOT adding the zip tie will only make cable bottom out at WOT. Only a valid mod if the cable is stretched.

Ex CCS Racer said:
It also accelerates wear and tear on your transmission.

It wont accelerate wear.... all it is doing is causing line pressure to increase quicker and earlier in the throttle travel... its like WOT but at 3/4 throttle.

I just think it is mechanically impossible for this to work due to the adjuster compensating, or the cable bottoming out and stoping the throttle before WOT...... less of course your out of adjustment and the ziptie brings you back to proper adjustment giving you a false sense of improvement.

BlueCuda said:
I would not say it made it wear out any quicker. But if your cable is already asjusted to full travel at WOT adding the zip tie will only make cable bottom out at WOT. Only a valid mod if the cable is stretched.

yep... so its not really a benificial mod, just a repair to bring you back to decent shifts.... no 'gains' over stock.

fordtech said:
It wont accelerate wear.... all it is doing is causing line pressure to increase quicker and earlier in the throttle travel... its like WOT but at 3/4 throttle.

I just think it is mechanically impossible for this to work due to the adjuster compensating, or the cable bottoming out and stoping the throttle before WOT...... less of course your out of adjustment and the ziptie brings you back to proper adjustment giving you a false sense of improvement.

You'll find out in time it's a pointless mod. Just my $.02.

Back