• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much difference would I see going from 4.56 to 4.88 or 5.13?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an XJ currently running 5.5" lift, 33" tires with SYE, lots of armor, auto trans, and 4.56 gears.

I wish tthe gears were deeper.

I almost never drive this jeep over 60 MPH and wouldn't really have a problem limiting it to 50-55mph in trade for more low end power. It's just a trail rig.

How much difference would I see going from 4.56 to 4.88? What about 4.56 to 5.13?

Thanks!

It will help with what you want, A Big difference going from 4.56 to 5.13.
But I would not waste my money regearing from 4.56 to 4.88, IN MY OPINION it is not worth the investment, Not a big enough return for the outlay of cash!

I've got an XJ currently running 5.5" lift, 33" tires with SYE, lots of armor, auto trans, and 4.56 gears.

I wish tthe gears were deeper.

I almost never drive this jeep over 60 MPH and wouldn't really have a problem limiting it to 50-55mph in trade for more low end power. It's just a trail rig.

How much difference would I see going from 4.56 to 4.88? What about 4.56 to 5.13?

Thanks!

If you were doing any serious offroading or desert racing wouldn't you know the answer to this?

What is the strength difference between the 4.56 and 4.88? The 4.88 has a tiny little pinion gear it seems

Yea i would not go too steep on a D30 because like Chpmnsws6 posted above the Pinion gear is small.

Pinion gear strength is insignificant. Older CJ's came stock with 5.38's in D25's and D30's. Different gear ratios have different teeth counts and a higher (numerically) ratio might have more tooth engagement than a lower ratio simply because of that particular tooth count.

But, I didn't think you could go lower than 4.88's in a HPD30. While you'd like the 4.88's better than the 4.56's, I doubt it's enough diffrence to be worth the hassle and expense, especially if it's not a daily driver. BTW, it's a 7% difference from 4.56 to 4.88, so drive 60 mph and note your RPM, then add 7%. That's roughly 175 rpm.

Back