• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Virtue Flat OHV area (Baker City, OR)

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
So, we discussed Virtue Flat a bit at the M&G so I thought I'd share some pics from a Links 4 Jeeps run done there two weeks ago.
Photos reposted from PNWAdventures.com

We spent some time talking....whodathunk, and then headed out to play....

503107214_aTf2m-M.jpg

Rio...

503107232_7facA-M.jpg

Jerry....

503107239_oJaaq-M.jpg

Weeds, from the JK forum...

503107263_Kpo7M-M.jpg

Tyson.....

503107273_o546F-M.jpg

Grasseed..

503107287_SDeuX-M.jpg

Outdoors........

503107358_DwJuV-M.jpg

From this bowl we headed out and took a couple of the "easy" Virtue Trails......

503107320_agCaA-M.jpg

503107355_WFwmQ-M.jpg

After the first trail.....everyone catching their breath......and from some of the comments I heard, trying to stop shaking.... There were some new Jeeps here with no scratches and well......now they were broken in!

503107356_YypTe-M.jpg

JeffD's "Virtue Pin Striping!"

503107469_ZpeB9-M.jpg

And BTW, this was Jeff's firs outing in the JK. He, his wife, and the JK rocked!

Everyone got collected and off we went to the next trail. This picture is looking east while on trail/road #1...

503107402_mVmrV-M.jpg

This trail loops around most of the Virtue Flat OHV Area. You can get an over view of the place from it and your 2wd pickup would be great on it.

We were all following erslll and he headed down another trail which had a particularly difficult section. He directed everyone who wanted no body damage or maybe didn't have quite as much capability to bypass this section. I did not get any pictures except for this one....

503107411_PNh2U-M.jpg

The reason there are no pictures of the tough section is because we were too busy trying to keep Rod from rolling completely over. He got up on two wheels and flopped, but did not go completely over. The dent in the door is the result of the rock that stopped him!

Following a little rest, we went to the Steps.....I think.

Weeds on the final ledge.....

503107685_Wyuqp-M.jpg

He couldn't quite get over the hump with the long wheelbase, so out came the strap.....

503107459_TFKj3-M.jpg

He popped right over with a little tug from erslll.

erslll in the same spot......not much drama here.....

503107434_aakVP-M.jpg

And now for one of the surprises of the day.......Jerry's and Randy's Bronco IIs. Here is a picture of Jerry coming up Steps to the ledge.....

503107500_4YMMp-M.jpg

He popped right over the ledge with very little effort or drama.....

503107503_apHBD-M.jpg

....that is except for the passenger side front wheel being 3 feet off the ground.....I just missed it with the camera!

We next ended up at the "Quary." The name is self explanatory!

503107553_AKMiF-M.jpg

There is two sections here, one for the built Jeeps, and one for well a really well built Jeep! That is not exactly true however, Tyson took his mildly modified XJ up the first section with little effort. He is a heck of a driver!

503107644_3hCD9-M.jpg

Rio picking a route up the first section.....

503107555_w35kk-M.jpg

Rio on the rocks and up 'n over....

503107602_sh2Ao-M.jpg

503107601_MKRm2-M.jpg

503107620_HDGZn-M.jpg

Grasseed up the first section......

503107801_AX4R5-M.jpg

and then erslll.......you may notice that he doesn't necessarily pick the easy line!

503107651_t5Ank-M.jpg

Farmtoy.......he doesn't need to take the easy line either.....

503107783_YSydA-M.jpg

And finally Rubicon Rod. He was back with the group after going to the staging area to make repairs to enable him to open and close his window..........

503107728_qqLxR-M.jpg

wow. i gotta say that looks worth the adventure. maybe roll out on a friday and come back sunday...

Did a road trip last summer and took in VF. Some fun wheeling there, little dusty in July but a good time.

Nice pics. I'm hoping to go back again some time this year or the next.

I explored a little out there and would be up for the trip.
Hopefully I can make it when you all plan the trip. I just broke my knee on Sat.
and couldn't make it to the M&G.
I head out that way quite often to see the In Laws.
I'll be watching for a trip date.

Rob

Yes, we definitley need to plan a trip out there. Its probably about a six hour drive from Portland so overall you're gonna need a day for travel (half there, half back)
For the families, the Oregon Trail interpcenter is literally across the street and the Snake River is just over an hour away to the East, Sumpter and hour to the west. There's plenty to see and do besides wheeling...

Yep, I had a blast under 1k on my Jk when I went. I still need extended brake lines and it let me know right away.. no damage though. Played it easy the rest of the day.
Plenty of trails for a weekend run. Some of those trails flex you out like no place I've been including TSF, and the Naches area..

Back