• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ auto stuck in 3rd

sounds like the #1 solenoid either stopped working or isnt getting power, you should check the c16 terminal on the tcu to see if its getting power when the lever is in 1/2 position.
or you have a bad clutch pack, or there may be something else.
i would check and see what you are reading on the tcu terminal first though

If you unplug the TCU will it shift manually?

I've had mine get stuck in 2nd after wheeling through water a few times. Turn the motor off, turn the key forward (motor off) shift from Park to 1st several times. let me know if you have any luck.

Thank you for posting this Tommy ! :cheers:

The Jeep in question is my Jeep, but we didn't have internet where I was so he made a thread for me.

Its a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (XJ).

I guess something got wet or something. No codes were found when we scanned it, and after it was turned off and then restarted after it sat for an hour or so the tranny was good an new again. :confused:

Its great that it is working again, but I want to figure out what caused the issue in the first place so I may prevent it from happening again.

I will likely have the tranny serviced anyways since I have been through a couple of high water crossing with it recently.

Any ideas on what to do to prevent it from happening again when I go wheeling since it didn't throw any codes? :confused:

Thank you for posting this Tommy ! :cheers:

The Jeep in question is my Jeep, but we didn't have internet where I was so he made a thread for me.

Its a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (XJ).

I guess something got wet or something. No codes were found when we scanned it, and after it was turned off and then restarted after it sat for an hour or so the tranny was good an new again. :confused:

Its great that it is working again, but I want to figure out what caused the issue in the first place so I may prevent it from happening again.

I will likely have the tranny serviced anyways since I have been through a couple of high water crossing with it recently.

Any ideas on what to do to prevent it from happening again when I go wheeling since it didn't throw any codes? :confused:
Try to keep it dry. That's one if the dumbest things I've noticed on the XJ...a Vehicle that's meant to be in the elements, with a transmission sensitive to the elements!!

Try to keep it dry. That's one if the dumbest things I've noticed on the XJ...a Vehicle that's meant to be in the elements, with a transmission sensitive to the elements!!

The water I went through this weekend was nothing compared to the water I went through last weekend without any issues. :dunno:

n1187430532_30458274_3089279.jpg

Wow...your getting really close to sucking water into the intake (behind driverside headlight) I have forded through water that was deeper than that once (water splashing over the hood)....and I don't know how the beast didn't hydrolock. But yeah it might not give you tranny issues everytime its wet...but just know it might happen.

Wow...your getting really close to sucking water into the intake (behind driverside headlight) I have forded through water that was deeper than that once (water splashing over the hood)....and I don't know how the beast didn't hydrolock. But yeah it might not give you tranny issues everytime its wet...but just know it might happen.

Yeah, I knew it would be close that time, so I went slow. :laugh:

Any ideas on what to do to prevent it from happening again when I go wheeling since it didn't throw any codes? :confused: (Aside from not getting the vehcile wet lol)

maybe some sealant around all your connectors for the tranny.
and btw a simple snorkel only costs around twenty bucks, home depot style.
go with the 3" dia.

Back