• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny temp sending unit location?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am away from my jeep from my jeep for a week so I can't climb under it and see if there is a location to install a sending unit on the trans or pan. I would rather not install the sending unit on either of the lines to the trans cooler. anybody install the sending unit where the drain plug is? I am also not really wanting to have to pull the pan off and weld in a bung, if possible. I know I' being pretty picky ;)

Pretty much going to have to weld a bung if you want it in the pan, or at the minimum drill and tap.

Nothing wrong with the sender in the lines, had one like that for a long time.

Correct - there is no bung in the pan for anything, save the drain plug (which is a horrible place for a temp sensor, since it would stick out the bottom.)

Probably the best place to monitor transmission temperatures would be in the line going from the transmission to the cooler, so you could see the fluid pretty much at its hottest.

Ideally, I'd want to install sensors in the coolant supply line and in the coolant return line, with a switch, so I could monitor cooler efficiency as well. But, if I were to just install a single sensor, I'd put it in the supply line for the cooler so I could see how hot things are getting.

Correct - there is no bung in the pan for anything, save the drain plug (which is a horrible place for a temp sensor, since it would stick out the bottom.)

Probably the best place to monitor transmission temperatures would be in the line going from the transmission to the cooler, so you could see the fluid pretty much at its hottest.

Ideally, I'd want to install sensors in the coolant supply line and in the coolant return line, with a switch, so I could monitor cooler efficiency as well. But, if I were to just install a single sensor, I'd put it in the supply line for the cooler so I could see how hot things are getting.
I was afraid you were gonna say that. I already have a sending unit for my trans aux cooler in the supply line and am a little worried about flow restriction with too many things in that line. I'll figure something out. not a bad idea about wanting to know the temp drop across the cooler though. you're always thinkin' ;) oh yeah, still lovin' the battery cables, thanks a lot.

I was afraid you were gonna say that. I already have a sending unit for my trans aux cooler in the supply line and am a little worried about flow restriction with too many things in that line. I'll figure something out. not a bad idea about wanting to know the temp drop across the cooler though. you're always thinkin' ;) oh yeah, still lovin' the battery cables, thanks a lot.

No worries, and glad to hear you like my work!

You may want to set up a manifold in the line there, or use a reducing T fitting (it will create a "flow pocket" in the line there, but it won't have any significant ill effects. Use a 1/2" run T with a 3/8" branch - the sensors should be 3/8" - and put hose barbs in to plumb in the softlines. You can probably use a 1/2"/1/2" T fitting, then use a bushing for the sensor - as long as it sticks into the body of the T. Use close nipples to gang your T fittings together - on the run! - to make a manifold. Hokey, but should work. The alternative is to either find a hydraulic/pneumatic manifold, or just have a machinist bore a block for you. Then, drill and tap for run and side ports.)

Back