• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 hub removal help needed

Papa_smurf

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing in new ball joints, all four this time. I am to the 36mm nut on the hub assembly. If to spec this should be 175 ft lbs right? I put my breaker bar on it and put the pry bar between two lugs and pulled the breaker bar until I bent the pry bar and the nut didn't bulge.

So my question is, am I doing it right?
The hub is supposed to spin with the nut right?
Help?

Get at least a three ft. breaker bar and stand or jump (carefully) on the end of the bar. You can get better leverage by putting pressure on the end of the breaker instead of near the spindle nut with the pry bar. Be sure to soak the spindle nut with PB Blaster or WD-40. If all that doesn't work, carefully apply heat to the spindle nut with a propane torch to expand it enough to loosen it.

I don't think it is supposed to be torqued down to 175 ft.-lbs. though. If you have access to an impact gun try that too.

:lecture:

I don't think it is supposed to be torqued down to 175 ft.-lbs. though. If you have access to an impact gun try that too.

175ft lbs IS what they are to be torqued down to. None less, or lack of tightening will ruin the bearing quick.

Most any 1/2" impact gun will bust the 36mm axle nut loose. IF not, a long pry bar on the wheel studs to the ground and a long breaker bar will do the trick. Soak in some sort of rust penetrater before hand.

ANYWAYS, there is no need to pull the hub off the shaft, as you have to remove the shaft to get the knuckle off. Just pull the 3 13MM 12 point bolts holding the hub on, and slide out the shaft and the hub as one piece.

I just did this last night. Loosen all three 13 mm bolts. Then place a socket on the bolts, (loosened but not completely undone). Now, gently but firmly smack the socket and the hub should pop loose. If not, apply more PB blaster and place a wrench between the hub and the lower control arm. Then turn your steering wheel towards the wrench and let the force of your steering pop the hub loose.
Keep us posted.....post some picks if you have trouble.
Good luck!

Those ideas make it sound pretty easy... I thought I was going to wear out a slide hammer getting my hub out. As for the 36mm nut, I made use of the brakes and it came loose pretty easy.

I finished up last night. Alot easier than I thought. I forgot what it was like to drive a car that doesn't fight you the whole time. I fell in love with the XJ all over again!

This was the first time I ever posted on Naxja and I appreciate all the help guys! Great forum you've got here, lots of info.

Back