• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airbag light interminent

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ
119,000 on it
black sport
no mods, just painted wheels
New compressor,oil pressure sensor, negative ground cable, cap, rotor, plugs and wires at 100,000. Religious with oil changes.

Recently took the cluster out to replace a bulb in the cluster and reseated everything. now when I'm driving the airbag will come on and then go off. Sometimes it will stay on for a really long time. Other times it's only for a few seconds. No rhyme or reason behind, not if I turn one direction or tilt the wheel in a certain position. Today driving from MAINE to MASSACHUSETTS it was pouring and the airbag was on for a long time but as soon as it started pouring the airbag light stayed off. I think it might have come once but for a few seconds. I had a no bus issue and soldered in a new wiring harness for the recall bulletin. The airbag module has been moved to under the center console as well. Sounds like a short to me but I have no idea where to start looking. I'm going to take the cluster out again tomorrow and maybe unplug the module and reseat the connections there. But any other ideas appreciated!!!! HELP ME OUT beer might be involved as payment if you live near me.

My guess is that it is the connection. Press on the plastic cover in front of the airbag light next time it comes on. If the light turns off, then the connection behind the gauge panel is loose. This has been the case with my intermittent airbag light.

sounds like it might be related to the clock spring going bad possibly. When they start to fail they will make the light come on. I have aso read where the connections on the back of the cluster cause this, but it sounds like you have that under control.

if the light is on the system is disabled from what I have gathered out of the FSM.

hey Jeppman121 used the search......so you don't have to be a idiot. my situation seemed a little different and thats why I made a new thread. Thanks for your concern I have that concern and thats why I called the dealer and everything. Thanks for your help everyone so far I'll keep you posted. A lot of people have a clockspring problem so I hope it isn't that because it's wicked expensive to replace.

it isn't the clockspring since my horn works when the the airbag is lit and even when it isn't lit. I don't have cruise so I can't test that out. I don't know what else the dealer here in Maine wanted 130 for a diagnostics test!!!! i was like ya, go smoke some more weed

Here's the Solution:

1. Pull instrument cluster out
2. Find Airbag Light Bulb
3. Pull the bulb and put the cluster back in

Problem fixed!!! :p

...This is what I did and amazingly the airbag light has never bothered me again. LMAO!:laugh3:

Back