• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Offroad XJ 8.5-9inch lift coil spring rate ?

vagrant

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the spring rate on these coils?

Rusty says "supposed to be about 180lbs/in" but a guy from the netherlands said he measured two sets at his spring/shock shop and they were 251lbs on the left and 260lbs on the right and both sets were nearly identical. Rusty said eibach makes the springs. I talked with him directly.

I bought a set of them off a local shop who sold his inventory for bankruptcy settlement. They were only $40. I want to run 35s but no trimming so I figured this would be a good step up and they should ride good on and off highway if the guy from Europe is correct. Any one measured the spring rates? I want some confirmation. I'm not going to run a 180lbs/in spring with the heavy winch and bumper.

Last edited:
I run those springs with 35's, pre runner bumper with a winch and couldn't love it anymore. I don't know the actual spring rate but they support the front end well under hard riding.

does it help with front end sway and handle better on the highway? what springs did you have prior to Rustys?

hmmmm.....

did i reveal a secret or says something I wasn't supposed to? just trying to find out the REAL spring rate. as of now I am inclined to believe the guy who actually measured the spring rates and not someone who is unsure of what they are selling.

I think when I called Rustys they told me their srping rate was 220. I have a set of RE coils on one of my XJs and Rustys coils on another, I like the Rustys ride better. The RE coils are too soft for my fatty heep.

did i reveal a secret or says something I wasn't supposed to? just trying to find out the REAL spring rate. as of now I am inclined to believe the guy who actually measured the spring rates and not someone who is unsure of what they are selling.
no... i just thought that was interesting what rusty himself said about who makes the springs.

keep on keepin on

For coils that tall, run the highest spring rate possible. BDS coils are #240 per there site and skyjackers are close to that. remember BDS coils carry a lifetime warranty.

Any one using the Rusty's Offroad XJ 8.5-9inch lift coil measure their actual lift?
I'm running heavy winch bumper, winch, and a V-8. My 6inch RE front coils result in ~4inches of lift. I'd be interested in a "true" 6 to 7 inch front coil for built XJs.

does it help with front end sway and handle better on the highway? what springs did you have prior to Rustys?

I don't know that I would say it helps with sway. Any lift that high will have additional sway then say a 3" lift.

Highway speeds are VERY stable at 85mph. I run no sway bars, front or rear, and I have no bump steer or death wobble. Although my Jeep is mostly trail use.

Prior to the 8"+ springs I ran Rusty's 6". I wanted more height so I wouldn't have to bumpstop my 35's.

I have had these 8"+ coils on for 2 years and I have seen no sagging. I don't know the ACTUAL spring rate but mine are labeled 180 as well.

Why would you want to lift your XJ 8 inches??? Why do you not want to trim your fenders?

This is just my opinion but if you do any serious actual off roading or high speed desert rallying you'll wish you had a lower center of gravity.

Oh, and hope you've got bump stops because if you're running 35s your fenders will be screwed... unless it's just a pavement pounder.

I run an RE LA 5.5" w/ 33s, heavily trimmed front and rear, 4.56 gears. My COG is pretty decent, sometimes I wish I was a little bit lower. What I REALLY wish I had is 4.88 gears!!!

Last edited:
Why would you want to lift your XJ 8 inches??? Why do you not want to trim your fenders?

This is just my opinion but if you do any serious actual off roading or high speed desert rallying you'll wish you had a lower center of gravity.

Oh, and hope you've got bump stops because if you're running 35s your fenders will be screwed... unless it's just a pavement pounder.

I run an RE LA 5.5" w/ 33s, heavily trimmed front and rear, 4.56 gears. My COG is pretty decent, sometimes I wish I was a little bit lower. What I REALLY wish I had is 4.88 gears!!!

Wow. What a complete tool.

Heard of Grayrock ORV? Pretty serious offroading there. Bring your 33's and lets ride. I'm sure I'll be able to find you something to challenge your "Serious Offroad" Cherokee.

Wow. What a complete tool.

Heard of Grayrock ORV? Pretty serious offroading there. Bring your 33's and lets ride. I'm sure I'll be able to find you something to challenge your "Serious Offroad" Cherokee.

lol unlike some I don't use my rigs to compensate for penis length.

The original poster is talking about a 9 inch lift with no trimming. Probably running stock gears. Get real buddy. BTW, your words speak volumes for your wheeling experience.

Have a great day.....

lol unlike some I don't use my rigs to compensate for penis length.

The original poster is talking about a 9 inch lift with no trimming. Probably running stock gears. Get real buddy. BTW, your words speak volumes for your wheeling experience.

Have a great day.....

You can tell that much from what I type? Offers stands. There is an open ride in June. I'll be there with my "too tall" Cherokee and rather large penis. Bring your roller skates.

You can tell that much from what I type? Offers stands. There is an open ride in June. I'll be there with my "too tall" Cherokee and rather large penis. Bring your roller skates.

OK deals on.

Then after I've pulled you out, or turned you back over, you can come to my turf. Lets see how you do keeping up with me at 35-50 mph on tight rocky roads with sharp turns, cruising through the forest or the desert.

Hell, I'll give you $100 cash IF you can keep up and I'll pay your gas back home.

But if you roll, or are too afraid to get on the throttle, you owe me $300. Sound fair?

OK deals on.

Then after I've pulled you out, or turned you back over, you can come to my turf. Lets see how you do keeping up with me at 35-50 mph on tight rocky roads with sharp turns, cruising through the forest or the desert.

Hell, I'll give you $100 cash IF you can keep up and I'll pay your gas back home.

But if you roll, or are too afraid to get on the throttle, you owe me $300. Sound fair?

I will take you up on any offer you extend. ANY.

So it begins at Grayrock Orv in June. Show up or I'll call you out.

"Builtflex: I run those springs with 35's, pre runner bumper with a winch and couldn't love it anymore. I don't know the actual spring rate but they support the front end well under hard riding."

Have you measured your actual lift? I'd like to know if your 8 inchers result in 8 inches, or less?

Back