• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sea Foam and Spark Plugs

driggs

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on running a bottle of Sea Foam through my 2001 XJ soon, and I believe that this will be its first ever dose of "snake oil" in its life. Unfortunately, I just put brand new spark plugs in it (NGK ZFR5N), before the Sea Foam rather than after it.

Is it advised to change spark plugs after dosing with Sea Foam, or will the amount of carbon burnt off not be enough to foul my new plugs up?

Don't worry! just do it, go for a good drive after, done it plenty

the plugs will have a grayish tint to them after using the seafoam don't worry about it i have been using seafoam for three years and my best results are use half through the motor and then dump the other half in a full tank of gas works every time and enjoy the smoke show

i have used it in both my 95xj and 99 dodge ram. in the jeep i had failed emissions. i put in seafoam and there was a noticeable drop in carbon and oxides of nitrogen levels (it still failed but bearly due to a bad cat). the truck ran a little smoother afterwards as well.

after the tank of gas with the seafoam was used up, i pulled the plugs and took a small wire brush to remove any deposits from them

Sea Foam is the bee's knee's!

This may sound newbie-ish, but where do I put in sea foam for the motor? Do I take off the tube from the air filter to the throttle body and put it in there?

This may sound newbie-ish, but where do I put in sea foam for the motor? Do I take off the tube from the air filter to the throttle body and put it in there?

I've had the best luck on other vehicles by feeding it in through the brake booster vacume line. Just can't pour to fast or they say it can hydrolock your motor. I think you can pour it down the TB as well, just don't do it to fast.

I also have a 2001, and their is something funny going on. I found that I get mult-cylinder misfire codes, every now and then. Trust me, stick with the stock spark plugs, I've tried them all and stock works best. Then I find if I pour 1/3 rd of a bottle of Sea Foam SLOWLY down the TB and keep the RPMs up, then poor the rest in with the oil, that works best. I would change the oil after about 20 miles.

I've had the best luck on other vehicles by feeding it in through the brake booster vacuum line. Just can't pour to fast or they say it can hydro lock your motor.
x2

I usually increase the RPM to about 1200+/- and pour half to 2/3 of it into the trottlle body until it stalls. I leave it for an hour or so then restart it. When the miss fire goes away, I put it in drive and go where I have to go. It also doubles as a mosquito fogger for the first 1/2 mile or so.
280,000 miles. Been on a Seafoam suppliment 2 to 3 times per year for the last 150,000.

X what ever we are up to at this point that SeaFoam is good stuff

my 88 gets it with every oil change. 1/3 in the motor 1/3 in the fuel 1/3 in the oil for about 20 ish miles then.

the other jeeps get the same treatment (99, 2000)

1/3 in the motor 1/3 in the fuel 1/3 in the oil

ive never heard of this stuff before so isnt 1/3 in motor the same as putting it in the oil :banghead:

I also have a 2001, and their is something funny going on. I found that I get mult-cylinder misfire codes, every now and then. Trust me, stick with the stock spark plugs, I've tried them all and stock works best. Then I find if I pour 1/3 rd of a bottle of Sea Foam SLOWLY down the TB and keep the RPMs up, then poor the rest in with the oil, that works best. I would change the oil after about 20 miles.

Did you install the insulation sleeves over #3 & #4 injectors yet?

ive never heard of this stuff before so isnt 1/3 in motor the same as putting it in the oil :banghead:
No, it is not. Actually, the best way to run it is, remove your vaccuum line from brake booster and slowly pour in the seafoam (with the booster line removed your RPM's will be higher than idle. Just make sure you do not pour too much in at once and stall the engine. Then reconnect the line when you are done. This cleans the inside of your intake and and head.

I personally do not run Seafoam in the oil for more than 500-1000miles. As it being a type of solvent, can break down the oil.

No he ment by through the Intake so it runs through the combustion. In the Oil well that just speaks for itself.

Seafoam is the shiznit. I've never had any problems with my spark plugs after running seafoam through any of my XJ's. If you're that worried about just get the cheapest plugs you can find that will work with an XJ. They're probably about a buck a piece. Put them in run the seafoam then swap them out. The 6 bucks might be worth your piece of mind.

Did you install the insulation sleeves over #3 & #4 injectors yet?
Funny you should ask.....Today I bought some spark plug insulators and plan on installing them on the fuel injectors tomorrow. I also bought some insulation for manifolds and plan on wrapping my fuel rail. And yes I bought a can of Seafoam!

Last edited:
Back