• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing the rotating Fuel Pump?

red haranguer

NAXJA Forum User
The ride: 1993 Jeep Cherokee, 2.5l inline four, plain jane model, 2wd.

Please bear with me, as this is my first time posting a thread on here. I appreciate any and all help.

After 15 years, my fuel pump decided to die. No big deal, bought a new one and installed it. The tank was kind of yucky, but no time right now. When the new pump started to make an excessive amount of noise, I decided to get a new pump and tank - its only money. When I took out the fuel pump, the rubber bushings were all askew and not really supporting the pump motor. Installed the new tank and pump. Fired it up and things were good. A week later, I went to run an errand and it would not start. It would crank but not catch. I did the search and started to check out everything. I found that the 30 amp fuse to the engine control was blown. I replaced it and still no fuel pump on start up. I made a jumper and bumped the fuel pump in the tank, not working. After dropping the tank, I found that the pump motor had once again rotated in the bushings. Only this time it had shorted out to the mounting bracket.

In looking at the bracket, the only thing that appears to keep the pump motor from spinning in the bushings is the tab on the side of the inlet sock (which is held on with what appears to be a very inferior glue). Is there someway that I could pin this with a cotter pin to prevent the pump motor from rotating and not effect fuel flow? I do not want to keep fixing this.

What brand fuel pump ? we need to know it so we can stay away from it. NAPA was selling some real POS pumps for a while and most of the aftermarket pumps bite the big one. Especially on the 97+'s where you have to drop the tank to get at it. Yours is pretty easy. I know if I ever have to do mine it will be with an OEM one.

The one that I found was an "Airtex" from Advanced Auto Parts. Its the same one as at Auto Zone. If I remember correctly, even the OEM one was not in good shape when I took it out, (15 years and 226,000 miles),

Bosch 69302

So what I have now is what I have. Future replacement will be better thought out. Can I pin it? The only reason that I can see for not doing it is that the torque would be applied directly to the bracket via the plastic end cap at the pickup sock.

Back